EcoRenovator  

Go Back   EcoRenovator > Improvements > Solar Power
Advanced Search

Blog 60+ Home Energy Saving Tips Recent Posts Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 03-21-10, 11:34 PM   #1
msirach
Lurking Renovator

Default Have Batteries:Need System

I have been collecting parts for a backup system for home power. The backup system that I'm shooting for will also power a 43 watt cfl street lamp each night, a 30w 400gpm fountain pump during the summer, and charge my electric Black and Decker mower (29w).

The batteries came from two UPS systems at work for FREE. A couple batteries tested poor so they replaced all of them. The ones that I took all tested 80 Mhos or more. They are C&D Technologies: 12 @75ah and 12 @88ah for a total of 1956ah.

To backup the backup, I have a Honda EU2000I. $39 cash in the Honda generator/inverter made it a great purchase. (Purchased with a 14 months of safety gift cards from work.)

A Black & Decker store gave a super special deal for $69 which was about 25% of the normal price on a Vector 2000 watt 12v to 120v inverter.

Do I really need 2/0 battery cables? Would #2 work?

I plan on buying new pv panels and charge controller. Cable may be found used and I will have to buy new ring connectors.

Best bang for the buck on pv panels and charge controller?

Last edited by msirach; 03-22-10 at 10:29 PM.. Reason: added watts
msirach is offline   Reply With Quote