EcoRenovator  

Go Back   EcoRenovator > Improvements > Solar Power
Advanced Search

Blog 60+ Home Energy Saving Tips Recent Posts

Old 10-23-17, 12:22 PM   #61
nokiasixteth
Journeyman EcoRenovator

Well . Inverters,racking and all have made it . Only thing i am waiting on now is the panels . And the wood . Will be bracing my shop up a bit more so i can make it sturdy. Have a buddy that is much better at doing that type stuff than i am.
Have 1 whole rail up. The rest have to wait until i can get the sheeting to go under the tin so i can evenly space my railing to 32inches apart. The guys who built this had to do it cheap. And i have to pay the price now for it.

nokiasixteth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-17, 06:52 PM   #62
nokiasixteth
Journeyman EcoRenovator

Default Rails

Got few rails up. Waitin on more l feet though so I can get more in. Got a big gap in middle to be able to get em up out my way
Rafters are almost at a angle . Made it a pain to get a stud. And the bottom. There over on the side a bit . Thankfully they was easy to see just lean over and look.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20171026_174402.jpg
Views:	327
Size:	554.2 KB
ID:	7941  
Old 10-27-17, 07:50 PM   #63
where2
DIY Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by nokiasixteth View Post
Got few rails up...
Looks good to me! Keep up the persistent, diligent work on this project, because the payoff is worth the effort.
where2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-17, 07:29 AM   #64
nokiasixteth
Journeyman EcoRenovator

Default ac to the meter or dc to meter and inverter

Im looking . I am trying to decide if i am going to run ac from inverter to the house . Or mount the inverter on the house and run the dc to the house . Cable run is around 115 ft to meter from the shop. Trying to decide what will be the most efficient in the long run.
Old 10-31-17, 12:00 PM   #65
ecomodded
Supreme EcoRenovator

Ac has less amps to push and less volt drop / line loss so its best to run ac line imo as its going to a inverter regardless. It also depends wheres the best place is to keep the inverter out of the elements

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
ecomodded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-17, 07:29 PM   #66
NiHaoMike
Supreme EcoRenovator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecomodded View Post
Ac has less amps to push and less volt drop / line loss so its best to run ac line imo as its going to a inverter regardless. It also depends wheres the best place is to keep the inverter out of the elements
Incorrect. It's voltage that determines the efficiency.
Old 10-31-17, 07:41 PM   #67
where2
DIY Geek

Quote:
Im looking . I am trying to decide if i am going to run ac from inverter to the house . Or mount the inverter on the house and run the dc to the house . Cable run is around 115 ft to meter from the shop. Trying to decide what will be the most efficient in the long run.
Unless the latest inverters are silent, I'd put it anywhere other than the house. The 60Hz humm that I have heard most large inverters producing is something I am glad I don't have to listen to in my garage or attached to my house.
where2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-17, 09:09 PM   #68
nokiasixteth
Journeyman EcoRenovator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecomodded View Post
I was under the impression being it was 350 volts of dc it may have a little less drop . It would be less of a voltage drop to the house than 240 volts ac . But also seem to remember tesla and edison ac being more efficient to transfer . I figured i would throw that out by someone who is smarter than i am.. Am going to use 8 guage wire from the shop to the house though . Measured today . From the shop where i was going to mount inverter on shop is 112ft. give or take a couple inches for disconnect box.
Old 10-31-17, 09:10 PM   #69
nokiasixteth
Journeyman EcoRenovator

Quote:
Originally Posted by where2 View Post
Unless the latest inverters are silent, I'd put it anywhere other than the house. The 60Hz humm that I have heard most large inverters producing is something I am glad I don't have to listen to in my garage or attached to my house.

Good point. Its on the opposit side of where i would sleep . But. It would be right on the side of my little boys room.
Old 10-31-17, 09:19 PM   #70
pinballlooking
Super Moderator

Quote:
I was under the impression being it was 350 volts of dc it may have a little less drop . It would be less of a voltage drop to the house than 240 volts ac . But also seem to remember tesla and edison ac being more efficient to transfer . I figured i would throw that out by someone who is smarter than i am.. Am going to use 8 guage wire from the shop to the house though . Measured today . From the shop where i was going to mount inverter on shop is 112ft. give or take a couple inches for disconnect box.
How many amps are you going to be running through that wire? Have you looked distant and amp charts?
You need to be careful about voltage rise. The inverter will increase the voltage to feed it back to the grid. If you have too much voltage rise from using wire not suited for that distance it will just shut down the inverter.

Here this explains some on voltage drop and why it is important
http://www.affordable-solar.com/epis...ing-for-solar/

Wire sizing
http://www.affordable-solar.com/wire...and-resources/

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Solar Install 12.5 Kwh-

Mini Split installs -

EV Chevy Volt -
pinballlooking is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to pinballlooking For This Useful Post:
nokiasixteth (10-31-17)