EcoRenovator  

Go Back   EcoRenovator > Improvements > Lawn and Garden
Advanced Search

Blog 60+ Home Energy Saving Tips Recent Posts Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-28-14, 05:32 PM   #41
theoldwizard1
Apprentice EcoRenovator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecomodded View Post
Propane is 56 cents a liter in some places in Canada.

How anyone can deduce that gasoline is easier to store than Propane is hilarious to put it mildly.

ever spill gasoline ? No ? ever smell it being transported ? no ? oh well maybe you like how it gums up carburetors while sitting and goes flat in a tank, that must be it.
Lighten up !

I said store "short term". Gas cans are a lot cheaper and more portable than extra propane bottles. Transferring propane from one bottle to another requires a special pump or cooling. (If you simply connect 2 propane bottles together, you can never "fill" the empty one completely.)

If propane is such a "wondrous" fuel for internal combustion engines, why is it not used more often, especially on all vehicles (motorcycles, ATV, boats, snowmobiles, etc) ? Maybe it the addition size and weight of the tank !

I am pretty certain that when propane is used as an "on the road" vehicle fuel it is subject to the same federal (18¢/gallon) and MI state (19¢/gallon) plus a 6% sales tax. Last time I filled my 20 lb propane bottle/cylinder I think I paid about $15, with no "road taxes", or about $3.15/gallon. Add in the 37¢/gallon road tax and we are at $3.52/gallon (rough number, please correct me if I made any mistakes in my math).

After "super storm Sandy", I'm certain that propane was no easier to obtain than gasoline. I would not want to try wrestling a 30-40 lb bottle in the back of MY car !

Frito-Lay has converted all of their delivery trucks to propane, but they are buying their fuel at wholesale prices. Some city buses and some school buses also. So in the right application, it does make sense !

Last edited by theoldwizard1; 10-28-14 at 05:36 PM..
theoldwizard1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-14, 05:56 PM   #42
ecomodded
Supreme EcoRenovator

I am addressing your concerns best I can, sorry for the tone it leaves , I have no reason to be gentle in my responses. I am more concerned with being truthful, to myself.

Quote: After "super storm Sandy", I'm certain that propane was no easier to obtain than gasoline. I would not want to try wrestling a 30-40 lb bottle in the back of MY car !
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

You would rather haul stinking gasoline containers over propane in a bbq tank , you do like gasoline don't you.

You do not need to transport Propane to your house in 40 lb bottles if your not capable of it , 20 lb tanks last a reasonable amount of time before needing to be switched.
ecomodded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-14, 06:23 PM   #43
theoldwizard1
Apprentice EcoRenovator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecomodded View Post
You do not need to transport Propane to your house in 40 lb bottles if your not capable of it , 20 lb tanks last a reasonable amount of time before needing to be switched.
Depends on how fast it is consumed. A 5KW generator can consume a lot of propane. My guess is 2 - 4 20lb tanks per day, depending on the load.
theoldwizard1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-14, 07:53 PM   #44
ecomodded
Supreme EcoRenovator

Wizard either way you would be working your *** off ,hauling gasoline or packing Propane.

I think Propane makes sense more for individuals than for all , its good for the needs of some of the People out there.
Old 10-28-14, 08:02 PM   #45
ecomodded
Supreme EcoRenovator

My bbq is Propane My fireplace is Propane soon my car will be Propane enriched / Dual fuel.
Old 10-28-14, 11:49 PM   #46
ecomodded
Supreme EcoRenovator

I have owned 2 Propane Vehicles in the past , one a 1 ton flat deck and the other a 1/2 ton chevy pick up. They both drove so quiet and cleanly they were a treat to own. The 1 ton got amazing mpg with its 318 wide block and 4 speed transmission. The 318 wide block was basically a commercial dodge 318 motor with a longer stroke.
Old 04-27-15, 10:01 PM   #47
mangler
Lurking Renovator

Vlad,

Hopefully you are still monitoring this thread. I finally bit the bullet and bought most of the parts to convert my craftsman 24 hp v-twin Platinum Briggs and Stratton powered garden tractor (engine model 44S877).

So far I have:

Beam T-60B (with vacuum lock off)

12 V solenoid lock-off valve, high pressure

Left handed POL cylinder fitting, safety high pressure regulator, pre-assembled rubber hose with 3/8" flair swivel ends & brass fitting.

It seems i will need a source of vacuum for the zero governor, and a way to distribute the propane in the carburetor. I attached a pic of my engine.

My questions so far:

Is the location of the propane feed important in the carburetor? It seems to be best below the choke plates, but I have see people feed above the plate, and even in the air cleaner box.

Since I don't want to drill the carb (it's new), my options are either an aluminum spacer or a motor snorkel (looks easy, but a bit pricey):

http://www.motorsnorkel.com/media/ca...13_3_1_3_7.jpg

The other thing I was wondering is if the propane needs a lot of help to be distributed evenly in the air stream. Most aluminum spacers seem to have a venturi machined in, and a small machined ring on the inside to distribute the propane. I know you have just drilled a couple of your carbs and added another emulsifier tube. Is that enough for a thorough mix to take place in the air stream?

Many questions. Now to find silfos brazing rod and some decent a/c copper tubing. Hopefully that small capped off hose on the side of the engine is a source of vacuum, needed for the California version. If so, I promise to say at least one good thing about California emissions law

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20150427_085525.jpg
Views:	1158
Size:	508.6 KB
ID:	5174  

Last edited by Daox; 04-28-15 at 07:40 AM..
mangler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-15, 06:14 PM   #48
mangler
Lurking Renovator

The engine, minus cooling shroud.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_20150503_190933.jpg
Views:	498
Size:	153.1 KB
ID:	5199   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20150503_190947.jpg
Views:	465
Size:	142.1 KB
ID:	5200  
Old 05-05-15, 06:23 PM   #49
mangler
Lurking Renovator

Closer view of the air box. The breather port (square opening) looks like it could be an ideal vaccum lock out release hose, but will it be enough vacuum so high near the air filter?

Or would I be better off teeing into the larger crankcase hose?
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_20150503_191003.jpg
Views:	444
Size:	124.0 KB
ID:	5201   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20150503_191050.jpg
Views:	446
Size:	141.3 KB
ID:	5202  
Old 05-05-15, 06:55 PM   #50
mangler
Lurking Renovator

More pics of the air box. This looks like my best bet to place the propace feeds/venturis.

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_20150503_203248.jpg
Views:	416
Size:	114.6 KB
ID:	5203   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20150503_203340.jpg
Views:	420
Size:	83.3 KB
ID:	5204