EcoRenovator  

Go Back   EcoRenovator > Off Topic > The Billiards Room
Advanced Search

Blog 60+ Home Energy Saving Tips Recent Posts Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-15-13, 02:05 PM   #11
MN Renovator
Less usage=Cheaper bills

I've driven a Model S as well, the owner let me take it for a spin and we made a few high speed runs from zero on a track while we were at it. This car flies. Before driving this car, the car that I drove that I thought was the most fun car was a Subaru WRX but the experience of driving a Tesla Model S blows that car out of the water.

Yes, it is expensive, but I think for what you get it is a great deal because I can't think of a gas car that costs less, performs as well or better, and has the same level of luxury that you get with this car.

If you want a cheaper Tesla, wait until the 2nd Gen(Model S and X) have done their thing and Tesla releases their 3rd generation car. It is supposed to be in the mid-$30s after the $7500 credit with 300+km range(about 200 miles), when it is released in about 2017ish. Here's a relevant article on the topic along with a speech from Elon Musk embedded in it. I think that this will blow the Chevy Volt value proposition out of the water for most people.
Elon Musk says 3rd-gen Tesla prototype will be revealed in 12-18 months, offer bigger battery

MN Renovator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-13, 02:22 PM   #12
pinballlooking
Super Moderator

If they can do a small SUV with 200 mile range for around $30k that would be great.
I could move to a pure EV for my second car then.

I will probably have 45,000 – 65,000 miles on my Volt by then. (I would guess more because it allway seems to take longer than they think.)
With a good portion EV miles the future is now.

I know someone here that has ordered an S he is going to let me drive it I can’t wait to try it out.
I saw it perform on top gear. It is an amazing car.

But as it is right now I can buy two Volts and put gas in them for a long time for the same cost.

Last edited by pinballlooking; 11-15-13 at 02:24 PM..
pinballlooking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-13, 03:02 PM   #13
MN Renovator
Less usage=Cheaper bills

"If they can do a small SUV with 200 mile range for around $30k that would be great."

A used Tesla Model X at some point will get to that level.
I'm thinking about a used Model S or Tesla's 3rd Gen maybe 10 years down the line myself.
I've seen top of the line Tesla roadsters going for less than the cheapest optioned new model S, we'll see what happens.
Old 11-15-13, 03:10 PM   #14
pinballlooking
Super Moderator

We are in some exciting times for EV cars. I am glad a nimble Tesla is out there pushing the others to do better.
The Leaf keeps getting better also but tesla is way ahead at this point.
I think as more people install solar they will want EV cars.
pinballlooking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-13, 03:40 PM   #15
MN Renovator
Less usage=Cheaper bills

For me it's the idea of a future electric car that made me decide on getting solar. It isn't as much as I'd like to have but I'll be having 3.3kw installed next year. I could potentially have an additional kilowatt nameplate but that additional portion would be on a shaded roof slope and probably get half per module of what the rest of the array would be getting and would require wiring through or all the way around the house and it didn't seem worth it. Without an electric car, I did manage to use 1749kwh in 2012. With additional conservation and no housemates, I feel I can add the EV and still be electrically net zero, not including natural gas usage.