EcoRenovator  

Go Back   EcoRenovator > Improvements > Geothermal & Heat Pumps
Advanced Search

Blog 60+ Home Energy Saving Tips Recent Posts

Old 11-22-13, 04:07 PM   #11
NiHaoMike
Supreme EcoRenovator

Since both seem to draw about the same with the compressor on, maybe both are in fact working? (A unit that is low on charge would draw less than expected.) Maybe the "broken" unit just has a marginal start circuit?

Old 11-22-13, 05:37 PM   #12
Daox
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by AC_Hacker View Post
Daox,

Your header said, "Water cooler repair / heat pump learning exercise".

Are you just trying to fix the unit(s), or are you trying to establish a basis of success that can lead on to more adventurous hacks?
The coolers are essentially junk at this point. If I can get them working, great. If I tinker around and learn some stuff thats even better. The objective is to fix if possible, and learn during the process. I don't have any future projects in mind, but its also easier to think of projects once you know what things (including yourself) are capable of .

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiHaoMike View Post
Since both seem to draw about the same with the compressor on, maybe both are in fact working? (A unit that is low on charge would draw less than expected.) Maybe the "broken" unit just has a marginal start circuit?
It is possible. I'll be testing them hopefully tonight and we'll see if they can chill some water.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
&
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Daox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-13, 04:41 PM   #13
Daox
Administrator

Last night I tested the Primo cooler. The refrigeration unit does work on that cooler, but the heat is not working. I'll need to figure that one out. I imagine this should be a pretty simple fix.

The Crystal Mountain cooler had some issues... I must have been a bit rough on it when moving and toying with it so far. I put water in it and it started leaking... So, now I need to fix that before I do any more testing.

&
Old 11-23-13, 06:59 PM   #14
Daox
Administrator

I got the Crystal Mountain cooler fixed and plugged it back in. It does seem like the evaporator is getting cold, but I am also hearing a hissing sound from it. I can't identify exactly where it is, and there doesn't seem to be any oil anywhere.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20131123_184217.jpg
Views:	1471
Size:	77.8 KB
ID:	3689  

&

Last edited by Daox; 11-23-13 at 07:04 PM..
Old 11-23-13, 07:05 PM   #15
NiHaoMike
Supreme EcoRenovator

That might be normal. The fact that it does cool means that a leak is unlikely, since a unit that small doesn't have much charge to begin with.
Daox (11-23-13)
Old 11-26-13, 11:05 AM   #16
Daox
Administrator

Well, I had the Crystal Mountain cooler plugged in all day yesterday and when I came home there was a little chunk of ice floating in the water. I think its working just fine. I'm not sure what the problem was before, but its working now.

Is there normal causes of intermittent problems?

&
Old 11-26-13, 11:34 AM   #17
NiHaoMike
Supreme EcoRenovator

Check for a marginal start cap or sticking start relay. Could also be bad contacts in the thermostat.