Go Back   EcoRenovator > Improvements > Solar Power
Advanced Search

Blog 60+ Home Energy Saving Tips Recent Posts

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 05-14-12, 07:00 PM   #1
jameson
Lurking Renovator

Default Help with Solar/Wind.

Hi all, I'm new to the forum and am looking for a little advice with regard to planning a Solar/Wind setup. I'm well on with a self build on the west coast of Ireland and am looking for any pointers on how to assemble items accumulated over the last couple of years. So far I have a 1 KW 24Volt wind turbine, 6 x 200watt PV panels, a 100amp controller and a 3KW 24-240 volt Pure Sine wave inverter. I also have a 10KVA diesel generator.
I was hoping to use a battery bank rather than a grid tie system and am looking for advise on sizing the batteries bearing in mind I don't want to spend a second mortgage. I would hope to get my power usage down to approx' 10KW per day or less. My location is rural, coastal with plenty of wind and unpolluted clear skies. I realise I won't be able to start off totally off grid with what I have so far but would like to get as close as poss'.
Should I be going down the new battery route of would second hand forklift batteries suffice , and any suggestions of sizes and battery string layouts. Any help would be very much appreciated. Thanks

jameson is offline   Reply With Quote