EcoRenovator  

Go Back   EcoRenovator > Improvements > Lighting
Advanced Search

Blog 60+ Home Energy Saving Tips Recent Posts Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-17-14, 08:39 AM   #11
Daox
Administrator

I ended up going with something very similar. The local Menards carries Sylvania brand and I've been happy with their products in the past. The only other LED that I've bought is from them and I like it every much.

http://assets.sylvania.com/assets/Do...481a01a3bf.pdf

So, here is the bulb I went with. It was a very reasonable $20. It fits a 6" can light. Its quite a bit heavier than I expected. Its also crazy bright at full brightness, rated for 1400 lumens @ 21W. Thankfully, they dim pretty well. I was only able to buy the remaining 4 that were in the store, but those 4 lights alone light up the room plenty good even with the dimmer at half. Once I get anther 2 bulbs it I'll likely dim it even lower. I like this idea because it should extend the life of the bulbs even further due to less heat build up. They also dim really nice compared to the incandescent bulbs I had just hanging in there. The incandescent bulbs get really orange when you dim them, the LEDs stay the same color temperature.

There is one issue that I have found though and that is that the lights buzz no matter the brightness. Its loud enough to be annoying. However, I am looking into the dimmer switch that I have because I think that that is likely an issue. If that doesn't fix the problem, I is very possible that I will return them.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20140216_192606.jpg
Views:	1573
Size:	123.7 KB
ID:	4026   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20140216_192635.jpg
Views:	1522
Size:	137.1 KB
ID:	4027   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20140216_192841.jpg
Views:	1659
Size:	97.4 KB
ID:	4028   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20140216_192855.jpg
Views:	1872
Size:	135.8 KB
ID:	4029   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20140216_210514.jpg
Views:	1535
Size:	102.9 KB
ID:	4030  

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
&
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Daox; 02-19-14 at 08:33 AM..
Daox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-14, 08:59 AM   #12
pinballlooking
Super Moderator

One thing I have been wondering is when you dim a led light does it us less wattage or does it still use the same wattage and dissipate the extra power?

The can LED lights I have make no noise at all when you dim them. I have one on a very old fashion rotary dimmer and it still does not make noise.

looks like they are closing them out
http://www.homedepot.com/p/EcoSmart-...575L/202240932
maybe they are in stock local to you

Ebay has some
http://www.ebay.com/itm/4-EcoSmart-C...-/201038104887

Last edited by pinballlooking; 05-13-14 at 10:11 AM..
pinballlooking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-14, 09:15 AM   #13
Daox
Administrator

I would imagine it doesn't dissipate the extra power. However some is certainly lost in the dimmer switch. I know this because when I had the incandescent bulbs in, the dimmer switch body would get warm. It doesn't get warm with the LEDs in it.

In my instructions, they specifically say something like 'dimmer technology has come a long way' and have a web page to go to for dimmer compatibility info. I'll try plugging one of mine into a normal switch and see if they buzz.

&

Last edited by Daox; 02-17-14 at 09:17 AM..
Old 02-17-14, 09:28 AM   #14
Daox
Administrator

Here is the compatibility list for those looking. The URL in the instruction manual doesn't work anymore so I had to do a little digging...

http://assets.sylvania.com/assets/Do...6ef4691e05.pdf

&
Old 02-18-14, 07:32 AM   #15
Daox
Administrator

I plugged one of the bulbs into a lamp base that wasn't on a dimmer circuit. It buzzed only a tiny bit. It was so quiet that I had to hold my ear up to the bulb to hear it. This is quite acceptable, so I'll try to get a new 'approved' dimmer and see how that works.

&
Old 02-19-14, 08:03 AM   #16
Daox
Administrator

So I picked up the rest of my bulbs last night... Actually I picked up 8 more bulbs. The original ones I got were 2700k color temperature, but at the other store I found 3000k color temperature bulbs which I tend to like more in general. So I got two 2700k, and six 3000k bulbs. The plan was to plug them both in and see which one I like more, then return the other six. This is what I ended up with:

Here are the specs on the 3000k, they are the same except for the color temp.

Here is a comparison shot between the two bulbs, 2700k on the left, 3000k on the right.

I am going to go with the 3000k bulbs as they look more natural to me. I also think they look better with the colors of the office. For others, they are also selling a 3500k bulb as well. At $20/each and a 50,000 hour rated life these things are a killer deal.

I still have to find a dimmer for them though. After adding two more lights to the circuit they buzz even louder! I plan on picking one up when I return the bulbs tonight.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20140218_201431.jpg
Views:	1013
Size:	124.3 KB
ID:	4062   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20140218_202654.jpg
Views:	1078
Size:	89.2 KB
ID:	4063  

&
Old 02-19-14, 08:30 AM   #17
Daox
Administrator

Hmm, upon thinking a little more, I did notice on my dimmer switch that the ground wire wasn't hooked up. I'm not sure why, but I wonder if connecting that would help?

&
Old 02-20-14, 09:08 AM   #18
Daox
Administrator

Well, I got home last night and tried the ground wire and it made absolutely no difference at all. So, later in the night I went to return my 2700k bulbs and picked up an "led dimmer". It wasn't on the Sylvania approved list, but none of the ones at the store were. I got home and installed it, and it made no difference at all... I'm a little annoyed. I will be contacting Sylvania technical support to see what can be done about this. I LOVE the lights, but the buzzing with all 6 lights on a circuit is really obnoxious now.

&
Old 02-23-14, 01:28 PM   #19
Quest
Apprentice EcoRenovator

sorry to hear that.

Q.
Quest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-14, 03:20 PM   #20
Daox
Administrator

I contacted Sylvania and got the expected reply:

Quote:
Thank you for contacting us about OSRAM SYLVANIA products. Your questions, feedback, and opinions concerning our products are important to us. The humming of the LED lamps may be due to the incompatabile dimmer. Please see the attached Dimmer Compatibility List for your reference.
So, tonight I shall order an 'approved' dimmer switch and see if that helps.

&

Last edited by Daox; 03-11-14 at 03:36 PM..

Tags
bulb, led, light