EcoRenovator  

Go Back   EcoRenovator > Improvements > Solar Heating
Advanced Search

Blog 60+ Home Energy Saving Tips Recent Posts

Old 08-12-11, 11:12 AM   #1
frankwest12345
Lurking Renovator

Default evacuated tube panel to radiator using heat pipe

Using a very large alloy heatsink instead of a radiator, any thoughts on how it could be connected to heat pipe in evacuated tube solar panel... I am able to position the panel on a south-facing wall so that the top is level with where I would want to put the radiator. I am trying to make something simple without any water in it so would need to put some kind of heat-exchanger on end of the evac tube heatpipe and then put another heat pipe through the wall into the alloy heatsink (and repeat for each evac tube, ie eliminating the water filled manifold). I know it will get very hot in the summer but I can live with that as the property never warms up even on the hotest day!

frankwest12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-11, 01:10 PM   #2
AC_Hacker
Supreme EcoRenovator

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankwest12345 View Post
Using a very large alloy heatsink
How big is your heat sink?

How far have you gotten on this project?

What design ideas are you working with?

-AC_Hacker
Old 08-12-11, 01:37 PM   #3
frankwest12345
Lurking Renovator

Design stage at the moment, I have to use evacuated tube solar on the wall because of where I am re winter which means if I use water/antifreeze it has to have a pump, vent etc which gets too complicated for my liking. Then I thought you have all this concentrated heat coming out of the heat-pipes, how to get that to a radiator... so then you get using a heatsink as a radiator, I thought one fairly simple extrusion per heatsink, something like 100x50mm, know I can get them in 300mm length but looking in to getting twice that, or may get away with much longer but simpler channel section.

Just thought about putting small heatsinks on the ends of heat pipes, enclosing in a large pipe and running an extractor fan to get the air moving fast enough and doing away with the radiator altogether, just have hot air piped into the room.

Does not seem much on the web about this because it depends on how your house is laid out re the sun, and what you are looking for - my house needs extra heat inside but is very well insulated, so this could work for me. For most people it would probably not work at all.
frankwest12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-11, 01:47 PM   #4
Daox
Administrator

Welcome to the site frankwest12345.

I'd have to agree with AC Hacker, we're gonna need some more info to help you out. Do you have an image of the collector?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
&
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Daox; 08-12-11 at 01:55 PM..
Daox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-11, 10:59 PM   #5
Ryland
Master EcoRenovator

You should be able to make the heat pipe either with water or alcohol, alcohol of course is not going to freeze as easily but is going to have to be under a slight pressure to get it to the liquid form and that is key, to have the fluid boil then as it cools turn back in to a liquid and drain back on it's own, I would use a diluted isopropal alcohol because it likes to bond with water so as it cools the water at the lowest point will want to suck it up, but it will need to be under pressure, not sure how high, maybe 10psi?
Your idea sounds good, so I say go for it.

Ryland is offline   Reply With Quote