EcoRenovator  

Go Back   EcoRenovator > Improvements > Lighting
Advanced Search

Blog 60+ Home Energy Saving Tips Recent Posts Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-29-10, 04:46 PM   #21
RobertSmalls
Journeyman EcoRenovator

Wikipedia says the opposite about low-pressure sodium lamps:
Quote:
LPS lamps are the most efficient electrically-powered light source when measured for photopic lighting conditions—up to 200 lm/W, primarily because the output is light at a wavelength near the peak sensitivity of the human eye. As a result they are widely used for outdoor lighting such as street lights and security lighting where faithful color rendition is considered unimportant.
High pressure sodium has additional phosphors and Sodium electron excitations and is a whole different ball game.

RobertSmalls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-10, 01:27 AM   #22
Piwoslaw
Super Moderator

Sodium bulbs need time to warm up, right? So they wouldn't work in a set-up where the ON cycle is only 15-30 seconds?
Piwoslaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-10, 02:03 AM   #23
AC_Hacker
Supreme EcoRenovator

Default Try Black Tape...

Another approach to this problem could be the judicious use of black tape on the bottom of sensor window, so that the short critters (dogs & cats) can't be seen, but the tall ones can be seen.

It worked on my neighbors garage light, which blinded me any time I went out into my back yard. We put the tape on the side of the sensor so that IR movement in my backyard is not seen, but IR movement in his yard is seen.

-AC_Hacker
AC_Hacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-11, 01:17 AM   #24
stuartrivchun
Lurking Renovator

Default The Facts About Energy Efficient Light Bulbs

hey doaz,
your article is very interesting.
stuartrivchun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-12, 06:45 AM   #25
Exalta-STA
Apprentice EcoRenovator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ratsihate224 View Post
LEDs are small, very efficient solid bulbs. New LED bulbs are grouped in clusters with diffuser lenses which have broadened the applications for LED use in the home. LED technology is advancing rapidly, with many new bulb styles available. Initially more expensive than CFLs, LEDs bring more value since they last longer. Also, the price of LED bulbs is going down each year as the manufacturing technology continues to improve.
Yes I agree, almost everything in the stores here are now LED. You could hardly find CFLs anymore since they are being phased out. Floodlights, spotlights, pinlights, dimmable lights, everything I see at the home depot are LEDs. and very efficient ones at that.
Exalta-STA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-12, 07:59 AM   #26
Daox
Administrator

How efficient are your very efficient LEDs? The ones here its hard to find something much higher than 50 lumens per watt.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
&
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Daox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-12, 05:56 AM   #27
Exalta-STA
Apprentice EcoRenovator

Well I just persuaded the village association to replace the streetlamps with LEDs..and they purchased 7w LEDs to replace those 40w CFLs they used previously and have noticed no difference in lighting at all..streets are still well illuminated

I used the word very efficient since they consume less power than the 40 watt CFLs that were previously used..and yet light up the same area effectively

Last edited by Exalta-STA; 09-05-12 at 05:59 AM..
Exalta-STA is offline   Reply With Quote