EcoRenovator  

Go Back   EcoRenovator > Improvements > Geothermal & Heat Pumps
Advanced Search

Blog 60+ Home Energy Saving Tips Recent Posts Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-24-10, 12:11 PM   #21
hotwire
Lurking Renovator

Thanks for the follow up, looking forward to hearing about the issues you ran into. I can't decide if I want buy a unit and do the complete install my self, or just do the rough in portion by running the lineset and electrical and have a local hvac company sell me a mini split and install it.

hotwire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-10, 01:16 PM   #22
Xringer
Lex Parsimoniae

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMilazzo View Post
Finished a 3-zone LG mini-split heat pump install late summer. Had some problems (caused by me)which I will share with my next post. Overall, very pleased with performance. Does anyone know where to get a service manual for the LG mini-split? I am more-familiar with Goodman, and they supply excellent manuals, with great troubleshooting guides. The LG manual is marginal in that regard.

The Sanyo website has some good dealer/tech training info & videos.
SANYO :: HVAC :: On-Demand Videos
Maybe LG has something similar on their commercial website.?.

From what I've read on the web, there are only two things to maintain on a mini-split.
1. The indoor unit's filters need to be kept clean.
2. The outdoor coil must be free of leaves etc.

I wonder what the life span is going to be.. I've read 8-12 years.
I suspect it might be longer, since early mini-splits were not inverter type.

I just recycled a 6,000 BTU AC that was still working. Had it since 1968..
It was used a lot, up until about 1985. My big 18,000 Chrysler Air Temp
window unit had been working since 1973. It had an accident about 5 years ago..
Xringer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-10, 05:32 PM   #23
mike_30319
Lurking Renovator

Hey folks -

Appreciate these threads on mini split installs! I'm about to embark on a similar job, though I hope mine is easier with just a single zone. I had planned on getting an HVAC tech to do the final steps of pressure testing / vacuuming the lines, but have had no luck finding one willing to do the work in my area (Chattanooga, TN). So...I may have to take this part on myself. What's a rough estimate of the cost for the necessary tools to do the startup (vacuum pump, gauges, tank, etc?) Finally, does anyone still have these tools and would entertain an offer to sell them, or charge a "borrowing" fee?

Much thanks,
Mike
mike_30319 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-10, 03:07 AM   #24
AC_Hacker
Supreme EcoRenovator

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike_30319 View Post
Finally, does anyone still have these tools and would entertain an offer to sell them, or charge a "borrowing" fee?
mike,

Far as borrowing, if you were within 50 miles, I'd be right there for you. But I'm afraid that 3000 miles is too much to handle.

I'd check out craigs list, pawn shops and and ebay. Try running a want-to-buy ad on craigs list, if you don't see what you want.

Maybe even try your 'borrow fee' thing on Craig's List.

Also, check out Harbor Freight. I've seen sale stuff cheaper than used stuff.

These are tough times and you may find someone with duplicates that they may sell you, reasonable.

Xringer bought is stuff new, he can give you prices on that stuff.

Good Luck,

-AC_Hacker
AC_Hacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-10, 03:08 AM   #25
AC_Hacker
Supreme EcoRenovator

Quote:
Finally, does anyone still have these tools and would entertain an offer to sell them, or charge a "borrowing" fee?
mike,

Far as borrowing, if you were within 50 miles, I'd be right there for you. But I'm afraid that 3000 miles is just too much for me to handle.

I'd check out craigs list, pawn shops and and ebay. Try running a want-to-buy ad on craigs list, if you don't see what you want.

Maybe even try your 'borrow fee' thing on Craig's List.

Also, check out Harbor Freight. I've seen sale stuff cheaper than used stuff.

These are tough times and you may find someone with duplicates that they may sell you, reasonable.

Xringer bought is stuff new, he can give you prices on that stuff.

Good Luck,

-AC_Hacker
AC_Hacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-10, 05:52 PM   #26
Xringer
Lex Parsimoniae

Quote:
Hey folks -

Appreciate these threads on mini split installs! I'm about to embark on a similar job, though I hope mine is easier with just a single zone. I had planned on getting an HVAC tech to do the final steps of pressure testing / vacuuming the lines, but have had no luck finding one willing to do the work in my area (Chattanooga, TN). So...I may have to take this part on myself. What's a rough estimate of the cost for the necessary tools to do the startup (vacuum pump, gauges, tank, etc?) Finally, does anyone still have these tools and would entertain an offer to sell them, or charge a "borrowing" fee?

Much thanks,
Mike
Hi Mike,
Depending on what type of stuff you buy, it's going to run between $300 & $500.
Since I had a major problem last December, I've pretty much decided to
keep my kit of stuff.
Since I know that once I start selling off stuff, Murphy is going to zap my Sanyo..
Plus, I might end up installing a small Sanyo in my Daughter's house in the spring.
She has a nice big room in her house, that in a previous life, was long one-car garage. Lots of windows and no insulation underfoot..
Like my den addition, it's hard to keep warm.. But worse..

Cheers,
Rich
Xringer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-10, 06:32 PM   #27
Chaaru
Lurking Renovator

The most expensive parts are the vacuum pump (~ $150), R410A Guage (~ $65) and the vacuum micron gauge (~ $130). The rest of them are probably below $50 each. Total should be around $500.

Even with this expense you would be saving big time by doing this yourself. And don't forget, you can also include this as a part of your tax deduction for the 30% federal tax rebate - if you bought an eligible unit.

Last edited by Chaaru; 12-27-10 at 06:33 PM.. Reason: Spelling & costs
Chaaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-10, 02:37 AM   #28
Telstar
Lurking Renovator

How has your system been treating you? I'm waffling between the 3 zone LG 36000 and a Mistubishi 36000 system myself -both look comparable, and although the Mitsu might be better overall, we can get more for the money with the LG. Are you liking the LG?
Telstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-10, 12:43 PM   #29
Chaaru
Lurking Renovator

Although I haven't done a detailed power consumption analysis, based on last years electric/gas usage, we are certainly below this year.

I have had this for a complete summer and a good 2 month winter usage. The performance has been rock solid. I have had it cranking out decent amount of heat to keep our 550 sq ft (living room + Kitchen) at 70F, when the outside temperatures were close to 42F. Fortunately, where we live the temps are pretty moderate with year lows around 40's and high's upto 104.

We have had almost daily usage for the past 2 months for heat and a good months usage during this past summer. All in all I am very impressed with how it has performed. Although challenging, the install went flawless - thanks to all the helpful folks on this site. I even rigged up a condensate pump for one of our indoor units.

The LG art cool models look really nice and could be very good options if you find the white units intrusive.

I plan to do some detailed power consumption analysis when I get some time in the near future. Based on my experience I would recommend LG as a good choice which is very competitively priced.
Chaaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-10, 10:11 PM   #30
Vern2
Apprentice EcoRenovator

Chaara,
Where did you find the HVAC Manifold Guage and hoses?
Very nice.

Edit: I found them. There on a really slow web site.
with ball valve hoses

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Vern2; 12-31-10 at 11:09 AM..
Vern2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
diy, ductless, heat pump, mini-split