EcoRenovator  

Go Back   EcoRenovator > Improvements > Lawn and Garden
Advanced Search

Blog 60+ Home Energy Saving Tips Recent Posts

Old 08-15-10, 10:16 AM   #181
Daox
Administrator

I mowed the yard today. I definitely had quite a bit more juice left after doing the typical half yard cut, and that is with a new 4th battery (new batteries don't have as much capacity as ones that are used regularly). So, this is great news.

However, the drive pulley definitely is too big. I probably mowed the grass in record time today haha. Its currently 2.5" and its going to have to go to 2.25" or 2" to make it a reasonable cut speed. I could also probably reduce the mower deck pulley as well, it is still spinning plenty fast for cutting grass. I'm guessing since I'm not loading the motor up with as many amps as before, I gained some rpm there (series wound motor quirk). The good news is going to smaller pulleys will again lower the amperage, so my motor will be happy.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
&
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Daox; 08-15-10 at 10:19 AM..
Daox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-10, 09:35 AM   #182
MetroMPG
Infrequent noob

Great updates! More voltage, new chargers, cooler motor.

How fast were you zipping along out there?? Did you have to work the clutch a bit to keep things under control?

All you need now is your battery monitor so you can keep an eye on things & protect your investment.

• To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

• To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

MetroMPG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-10, 09:49 AM   #183
Daox
Administrator

I dunno how fast I was zipping, but I definitely had to use the clutch more often when turning to keep it all under control. As the voltage dropped it became a bit more reasonable, but off the fresh charge it was definitely too fast.

I did pick up a 2" pulley last night to use for the drive. I think I'll probably plan on picking up another 2" pulley for the deck as well to reduce the amperage a bit more too.

&
Old 08-23-10, 09:45 AM   #184
MetroMPG
Infrequent noob

Tim: I thought about the eco-rider when someone mailed me this tidbit:

Quote:
I was in the Home Depot this morning, and noticed they had 2 of the Ariens Amp-Rider (battery electric ride-on mowers) left, marked down to $999 from $2,999 at the beginning of the season - a 66% price reduction.
I don't know about you, but I'd be tempted to buy new instead of convert at that kind of price.

http://www.ampbyariens.com/

Old 08-23-10, 12:26 PM   #185
Daox
Administrator

I'm approaching almost that price on my build. That looks like a great deal to me.

&
Old 08-27-10, 12:50 PM   #186
Daox
Administrator

I mowed again last night with the new setup. I still don't have the new drive pulley on, but it still works great. I love the new chargers and being able to just plug in and be ready the next day.

&
Old 08-28-10, 04:59 PM   #187
Daox
Administrator

Well, tragedy struck today while mowing. I was so happy with the new setup and thought it was going great. However, the motor had some problems and I had to push it back to the garage to inspect it. This is what I found:

Here is one side of the armature.

Here is the opposite side.

My guess is it still got too hot and ended up melting some of the armature wires. So, I'll have to look into rebuilding it, or replacing it. I have an email off to a few guys in the EV club to see what they think.

&

Last edited by Daox; 08-28-10 at 05:06 PM..
Old 08-28-10, 10:01 PM   #188
MetroMPG
Infrequent noob

Aaaaagh! Bummer.

Old 08-29-10, 07:37 AM   #189
Christ
Apprentice EcoRenovator

OH NOES!

Gonna be in the market for a new motor soon, then, I guess...
Christ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-10, 08:41 AM   #190
Daox
Administrator

I got a few responses from the EV guys. Ben says he has an extra motor for me, but it'll require some part making as it doesn't have a shaft (just a female connector). I've been told I can have it rewound by a rebuild shop. However, it would probably be more wise to get a more powerful motor that is capable of handling what the mower requires. This motor has taken quite literally a ton of abuse. Its rated for 1.6hp (24V @ 60A), and I was running it over double that, 48V @ ~70A which is around 4hp.

&

Last edited by Daox; 08-29-10 at 08:45 AM..

Tags
conversion, electric, lawn mower, tractor