EcoRenovator  

Go Back   EcoRenovator > Improvements > Geothermal & Heat Pumps
Advanced Search

Blog 60+ Home Energy Saving Tips Recent Posts Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 01-29-20, 05:02 PM   #1
AirConditioner
Helper EcoRenovator

Default Could a window A/C be more efficient than my heat pump?

Maybe January is a weird time to be thinking about A/C, but I'm in North Carolina and it will be on in a month or two. Last summer I bought a house, and it has 5 ton heat pump that I think is a bit oversized. On top of that, I mostly keep the vents closed in 3 out of 4 bedrooms, which makes the heat pump even more oversized for the rest of the house. It seems to cycle a lot.

The center part of my house is hard to heat and cool due to having 18' ceilings in the kitchen/living room area. Humidity is also a killer here.

Here is what I am thinking: I could install a cheap 5k BTU window unit in the living room area, and simply let it run 24/7. Obviously this would not cool the entire house, but would cut down the number of cycles on the main heat pump. I think this might do a better job of removing humidity, and maybe reduce the temperature swings between cycles for better comfort.

Am I crazy? Do you think this would cost less to run than just letting the main heat pump do everything? The window unit would literally run non stop for 6 months or more, no cycling. I have a great place to install the unit through the wall where there is currently a dog door, I don't have a dog. I need to plug the hole either way...

AirConditioner is offline   Reply With Quote