EcoRenovator  

Go Back   EcoRenovator > Improvements > Appliances & Gadgets
Advanced Search

Blog 60+ Home Energy Saving Tips Recent Posts Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-14-17, 07:56 AM   #11
oil pan 4
Land owner

I think heap pump dryers are a perfect example of a commercialized rube Goldberg machine.
For one there are few to no used heat pump dryers to be had around here. At least I have never seen one.
Then for all that added cost and complexity they still use at least half the power of a normal electric dryer.
A gas dryer hooked up to natural gas is cheaper to operate.

My electric dryer and the parts to fix it came from the scrap yard, my gas dryer was bought from the local used appliance place for $200.
I'm not going to go spend $1,000 on a heat pump dryer that isn't going to save any money.

From late 2005 to 2011 I didn't even own a dryer. My wife insists on having one for her uniforms since she works at a hospital.
I have a clothes line that will be used a lot. It is so hot and dry here that most things dry faster on the clothes line.
If I hang a load of cloths out and in that load of clothes is a bed sheet, If I hang that bed sheet up first, it will be dry before I can hang up the rest of the load. So it takes around 5 minutes to dry a sheet. So I will hang up everything then go back and take the bed sheet off the line and back inside.

Last edited by oil pan 4; 10-14-17 at 08:29 AM..
oil pan 4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-17, 10:32 AM   #12
NiHaoMike
Supreme EcoRenovator

Convert your existing dryer to heat pump by adding parts of a window A/C once you no longer have natural gas.
Old 10-14-17, 12:36 PM   #13
oil pan 4
Land owner

I have considered doing this, I have a portable A/C unit that discharges air through a 5 inch duct. The air is surprisingly hot and there is way more than enough volume for dryer, but that's a whole nother post.
It cools 12,000btu but discharges up to 18,000btu worth of heat. I have no doubt this A/C units discharge going into a dryer would dry some clothes.
Old 10-18-17, 03:06 AM   #14
Zelim
Lurking Renovator

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff5may View Post
Top 5 reasons:

1. Blown thermal fuse or high-limit switch
2. Defective gas valve solenoid
3. Bad igniter
4. Faulty flame sensor
5. Inoperative cycling thermostat

All of these components can be found for less than $20 each, the most common (thermal fuse) for less than $5. Nearly all home appliances come with a "tech sheet" hidden inside the cover somewhere. It is indeed a treasure map for servicemen: secret menus and diagnostic procedures are described within, as well as part numbers for high failure parts. Makes a repair job much easier.
Two months ago, I have a problem with the bad igniter. Great advice
Zelim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-17, 04:06 PM   #15
oil pan 4
Land owner

I bought the stuff I will need to hook my natural gas dryer to propane.
I'm going to test a straight gas switch first.
My hypothesis is that the natural gas nozzle will be slightly undersized for propane due to natural gas having a much lower coefficient of stiffness than propane.
The propane flame size and btu/hour use should be less than natural gas.
Old 11-16-17, 01:23 AM   #16
medicdude
Lurking Renovator

As I understand gas heat is about 1/3rd the price for electrical heat, obviously this depends a lot on your local prices, you will have to convert everything to the same heat units, BTU is pretty common.

But, generally, if you can use gas heat anywhere at all, it is waaaaaay better than electric heat.

medicdude is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dryer, gas dryer, natural gas