EcoRenovator  

Go Back   EcoRenovator > Improvements > Other Improvements
Advanced Search

Blog 60+ Home Energy Saving Tips Recent Posts Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-24-18, 09:15 AM   #1
iamgeo
Apprentice EcoRenovator

Default Cork Spray Paint

I just found out about this product when watching the TV show Holmes and Holmes.

Anyone here have any experience with this product?

https://www.lonestarcorkshield.com/videos/

iamgeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-18, 10:01 PM   #2
natethebrown
Apprentice EcoRenovator

Considering EPS and other foams have a better thermal conductivity rating, I am not convinced this product has much of any value... Seems like a mediocre product with a good marketing team.
natethebrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-18, 05:41 PM   #3
iamgeo
Apprentice EcoRenovator

Quote:
Originally Posted by natethebrown View Post
Considering EPS and other foams have a better thermal conductivity rating, I am not convinced this product has much of any value... Seems like a mediocre product with a good marketing team.
In other words, you know nothing about it.
Old 01-04-19, 09:49 AM   #4
natethebrown
Apprentice EcoRenovator

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamgeo View Post
In other words, you know nothing about it.
Yes, I have never used this product but I have used Tiger Foam, does that count? I am an Engineer and I love numbers, so lets talk numbers.

Per this website: Thermal Conductivity cork is twice as thermally conductive as Polystyrene (Foam Boards) and Polyurethane (Spray Foams), meaning it is half as good as an insulation.

The way to deal with a lower performing insulation material is to simply install more (e.g. fiberglass batting, and blow-in insulation materials). According to this video (at around 2:20): they apply the cork at 1/8" thick. 1/8" of insulation isn't much regardless of what material you use. I suppose it is better than bare metal, concrete, or brick.*

What I found really striking is the actual application thickness of 1/8" doesn't even come close to the test sample's thickness they advertise as "proof" of their product's performance (page 2): https://www.lonestarcorkshield.com/w.../01/test-4.pdf
In my line of work, "we test like we operate and operate like we test," and to compare the performance of test samples nearly 4 times as thick as what would be applied out in the field is just plain stupid.

Considering all the other spray foams offer similar capabilities (acoustic, thermal, fire, moisture, mildew, etc.) I don't see a lot of benefit of this material over other products.

*The advertisement of this being sprayed over the existing structure is interesting. I will admit that has some merit compared to other spray foam products. What I am skeptical about is the cost of this product versus properly insulating with more effective products. IMHO spraying the outside of the structure seems like treating a symptom not fixing the cause.
Old 01-04-19, 06:08 PM   #5
iamgeo
Apprentice EcoRenovator

Were those values actually correct?
It states one fibre cement board was 85 mm thick without coating.
So they were testing the heat transfer on 3 inch thick fiber cement board? That makes no sense. Does anyone make fiber cement board that thick?
Old 01-05-19, 08:56 AM   #6
natethebrown
Apprentice EcoRenovator

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamgeo View Post
Were those values actually correct?
It states one fibre cement board was 85 mm thick without coating.
So they were testing the heat transfer on 3 inch thick fiber cement board? That makes no sense. Does anyone make fiber cement board that thick?
The test report was signed by two different people on page 1. I, personally, would trust the accuracy of the test report.

Tags
cork, paint