EcoRenovator  

Go Back   EcoRenovator > Improvements > Other Improvements
Advanced Search

Blog 60+ Home Energy Saving Tips Recent Posts Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-12-18, 01:05 PM   #1
bulldozer
Lurking Renovator

Default root cellar w/ earth tubes

Building an addition to home and wanting to put a root cellar in the basement. To help with ventilation and keep it cooler in the summer I'm thinking about a earth tube system. My proposed system is as follows; root cellar will be 9x6', ventilation would be one 4" pvc pipe ran underneath the garage slab (elevations are offset in profile) for ~40' to open air in a shaded corner on the exterior. There would be a sealed pipe extending upward thru roof w/ a turbine vent. Inlet pipe would be within 1' of the cellar floor and exit would be within 6" of ceiling. My hopes is that the roof turbine would create enough suction to draw outside air thru piping under garage slab, cooling air, and cool/ventilate cellar. I imagine this working as a passive system. As described can you see any hiccups in design that need worked out prior to build? My main concern is airflow, I'm worried that the outlet would have a much higher cfm then inlet. Would one 4" inlet support a 4" outlet with assisted flow?

bulldozer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-18, 01:31 PM   #2
bulldozer
Lurking Renovator

While looking up cfm for turbine vents, now I'm thinking I need more volume in system. What are thoughts on inlet piping, having 4" entering into cellar and at exit however having 12" piping for run to increase volume. I'm thinking possibly two 12" "storage" sections of piping with 4" inlet and outlet. pipe run from outside to cellar, 4" pipe for first 4' then splits to two 12" pipes then back to a single 4" pipe into cellar. Not sure if the splitting and pipe reductions would greatly affect the air flow, same size on either side.
bulldozer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-18, 12:48 PM   #3
natethebrown
Apprentice EcoRenovator

Here is a really great video I saw that might help you figure out the best path forward:
natethebrown is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to natethebrown For This Useful Post:
jeff5may (08-13-18)
Old 08-13-18, 10:18 PM   #4
jeff5may
Supreme EcoRenovator

Send a message via Yahoo to jeff5may

Quote:
Originally Posted by bulldozer View Post
While looking up cfm for turbine vents, now I'm thinking I need more volume in system. What are thoughts on inlet piping, having 4" entering into cellar and at exit however having 12" piping for run to increase volume. I'm thinking possibly two 12" "storage" sections of piping with 4" inlet and outlet. pipe run from outside to cellar, 4" pipe for first 4' then splits to two 12" pipes then back to a single 4" pipe into cellar. Not sure if the splitting and pipe reductions would greatly affect the air flow, same size on either side.
Slow airflow that is ground Temperature makes a good growth chamber for mold, especially if it is humid. Unless you want to grow mushrooms, having a little breeze is not bad. If you need more surface area, it's better to run multiple smaller diameter pipes. I like the green PVC storm drain pipes. They have thin walls, too.

jeff5may is offline   Reply With Quote