EcoRenovator  

Go Back   EcoRenovator > Improvements > Other Improvements
Advanced Search

Blog 60+ Home Energy Saving Tips Recent Posts Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-17-19, 05:34 PM   #1
Greg
Lurking Renovator

Default More strangeness, insulating water tank with wood chips

Ok my situation I'm on solar power , ng heat and run gen set with ng. I have a round metal grain bin 14 ft diameter I have a 1000 gal plastic water tank 7 ft diameter. I plan on taking off the bin roof, using a old grain anger as a crane. Then I intend to put 2 ft of wood chips in on the floor, place the tank in the bin. Using my anger crane. Then I will start to fill the area between the tank and bin walls with more of the said wood chips. There should be at least 3 feet of wood chip insulation , then replace the roof. My theory is it will keep water cool in summer and protect from freezing in winter. If for some reason it begins to freeze at the coldest time Dec, Jan, Feb. Then I'll simply use up the water and go back to the old way of hauling water, then when spring comes I can use the 1000 gal tank. Why u ask. Cause my indoor storage is 150 gal it was great when I was single but not now. Also convenience I don't like to be forced to haul water every third day no matter the weather. I'm on a tight budget so have no extra cash to spare I have the bin and several loads of chips and can get more for free. Boy won't this increase my property values, plus make easier to sell, ha, can u imagine the work it will be if one wants to do away with the tank, I think 26 yds chips that's 2 gravel truck loads. Any one have any ideas as to my craziness?

Greg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-19, 12:52 AM   #2
jeff5may
Supreme EcoRenovator

Send a message via Yahoo to jeff5may

Should work well, as wood chips are cellulose and should trap lots of air to help insulate. The only thing I can think to recommend is to treat the chips to prevent fire hazard and insect infestation. Maybe a good drain in case it does freeze one day and the tank busts open.
jeff5may is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-19, 06:41 AM   #3
Greg
Lurking Renovator

Thanks for reply. The tank do have a drain, but I would have to monitor the tank as the weather gets colder so as we approach the -30 c temp which can start around mid to end Dec up until the end of Feb, and drain or use up water stored in it. Could you imagine how long it would take to thaw out a giant block of ice not only would 3 ft of chipsulation prevent freezing but also prevent thawing. In the old days before refrigeration they had ice houses and they were insulated with course sawdust and worked well.
Old 03-20-19, 06:46 AM   #4
Greg
Lurking Renovator

My son and I were thinking of making a YouTube of the event. So well have it documented to the whole world to see.
Old 03-21-19, 03:11 PM   #5
Daox
Administrator

That would be very cool.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
&
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Daox is offline   Reply With Quote