EcoRenovator  

Go Back   EcoRenovator > Improvements > Conservation
Advanced Search

Blog 60+ Home Energy Saving Tips Recent Posts Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-24-11, 02:21 PM   #1
Geo NR Gee
Journeyman EcoRenovator

Default Kitchen Instant hot water dispenser

We have a on the counter Hot Water Airpot that keeps about a gallon of water very hot. It is always plugged in and is in use everyday. Its been in use for about 18 years now.

Its not pumping out the water very well now and I think its time to upgrade. Who has experience with the tankless instant hot water units? Maybe the one with the tank would be good too, so we could use some ideas on that.

Geo NR Gee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-11, 04:33 PM   #2
iamgeo
Apprentice EcoRenovator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geo NR Gee View Post
Its not pumping out the water very well now
Is it not as hot or is it flowing slow?
If you decide to get a new one I would like the old one.
iamgeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-11, 05:28 PM   #3
Geo NR Gee
Journeyman EcoRenovator

Its not pumping the water out. It must be the seals wearing out. The water is plenty hot. Also, we are trying to find ways to conserve energy. Imgeo, you'll be the first one on the list.
Old 12-24-11, 11:40 PM   #4
knowbodies
Home Improvement Goon

If you're really trying to conserve energy, tear it out.Do you really need 3rd degree burn hot water available instantly, all the time? Even at 3am? just plug in a $10 electric kettle when you need really hot water. /grumpy
knowbodies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-11, 01:04 AM   #5
Piwoslaw
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by knowbodies View Post
If you're really trying to conserve energy, tear it out.Do you really need 3rd degree burn hot water available instantly, all the time? Even at 3am? just plug in a $10 electric kettle when you need really hot water. /grumpy
+1
Old 12-25-11, 02:18 AM   #6
MN Renovator
Less usage=Cheaper bills

Tankless whole house units don't usually save energy or water since you have to deal with the 'cold slug' that comes between the warmish hot water and the cold water that comes before the unit can heat the water. I've experienced one of these units at someones house, it used a fair bit of water before the temperature settled enough to take a shower. For point of use, an electric kettle is probably a better and cheaper option both for running costs and intial cost versus a point of use water heater. Where I live the cheapest option is a tank heater running off natural gas, ideally one that is well insulated and condensing(once we get a good one available). Heat pump units come next but now we are a little off topic. To heat up a pot of water an electric kettle after pulling from the cold tap would be your best bet for saving energy and water.
MN Renovator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-11, 10:57 AM   #7
Geo NR Gee
Journeyman EcoRenovator

Knowbodies, tear what out?

I don't want a whole house instant water heater, just a point of use one. We actually use the airpot one we have now many times a day.

Turning on the stove to heat up a pot of water in my opinion would not seem to be cost effective. But the electric kettle airpot on the counter is plugged in all the time and keeping the water hot. Plugging it in at the time of use would require the unit to bring the gallon of water up to temperature. How is that cost effective? Maybe its cheaper to do it that way?
Old 12-25-11, 01:52 PM   #8
Piwoslaw
Super Moderator

Quote:
But the electric kettle airpot on the counter is plugged in all the time and keeping the water hot.
And losing heat all the time. Even in the middle of the night when everyone is sleeping, or when everyone is at work/school/whereever. When exactly do you need the airpot's hot water? When don't you need it? Can you put it on a timer so that it turns off just before the last time you use hot water and turns on just before you need it again?

Quote:
Plugging it in at the time of use would require the unit to bring the gallon of water up to temperature. How is that cost effective? Maybe its cheaper to do it that way?
So why bring a gallon of water up to temp if you don't need that much? An electric kettle would allow you to heat only as much water as is needed, and heating a smaller amount will give you hot water much faster.
Old 12-25-11, 11:59 PM   #9
launboy
Apprentice EcoRenovator

Instead of keeping a gallon of water hot all the time, why not get a Sunbeam hotshot? It heat's a cup or so of water in a minute or two to just below boiling. It's an amazing little device. I don't have one, but my friend did when we were growing up and we used it almot every time we were there for Ramen soup or hot chocolate or anything else that needed hot water. I'm thinking about getting one for my dorm in college.
Amazon.com: Sunbeam Hot Shot Beverage Machine: Kitchen & Dining

I've always wondered how it gets the water that hot that fast. It just doesn't seem possible when you compare it to anything else.

HTH,
Adam
launboy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to launboy For This Useful Post:
Geo NR Gee (12-26-11)
Old 12-26-11, 10:17 AM   #10
Geo NR Gee
Journeyman EcoRenovator

Adam,
Thank you, that is what we are looking for. One with auto shut off, quick to heat and compact. Perfect!