EcoRenovator  

Go Back   EcoRenovator > Improvements > Geothermal & Heat Pumps
Advanced Search

Blog 60+ Home Energy Saving Tips Recent Posts

Old 01-05-12, 10:48 AM   #1
cholcombe
Helper EcoRenovator

Default ASHP Saved me a TON!

Hey Guys. Just wanted to update everyone on how my fujitsu 15RLS ASHP worked out. I installed it with my father back in may I think? Anyways, I was excited to use it as the heating season started kicking in. The oil company quoted me $3K this year in heating oil costs. I said heck no! I went out and bought wool thermals and agreed with my wife that we would run the heat pump as long as possible. Here we are in Jan 5th and still haven't turned the oil heater on. So far the oil company said I've saved $1200. The heat pump cost me I think 2.5K to install so things are looking good! October cost $30 in extra electric usage, Nov was more like $50 over normal. Even Dec/Jan are $100 in extra electric that's nothing compared to what I was burning in oil. I'm amazed how efficient these pumps are. I'm fairly certain I want to put another one in the house in the spring after tax returns come back

cholcombe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-12, 11:08 AM   #2
Daox
Administrator

Congrats, glad to hear its working out so well for you.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
&
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Daox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-12, 11:13 AM   #3
cholcombe
Helper EcoRenovator

Thanks! It's a bit cold at the ends of the house because we have the heater in the center but that was to be expected. I don't mind if I have to turn on a little electric heater while watching tv at the far end of the house. When the temps go into the 40's the heat pump easily keeps the house comfortable.
Old 01-05-12, 11:13 AM   #4
poleikleng
Helper EcoRenovator

Quote:
Originally Posted by cholcombe View Post
Hey Guys. Just wanted to update everyone on how my fujitsu 15RLS ASHP worked out. I installed it with my father back in may I think? Anyways, I was excited to use it as the heating season started kicking in. The oil company quoted me $3K this year in heating oil costs. I said heck no! I went out and bought wool thermals and agreed with my wife that we would run the heat pump as long as possible. Here we are in Jan 5th and still haven't turned the oil heater on. So far the oil company said I've saved $1200. The heat pump cost me I think 2.5K to install so things are looking good! October cost $30 in extra electric usage, Nov was more like $50 over normal. Even Dec/Jan are $100 in extra electric that's nothing compared to what I was burning in oil. I'm amazed how efficient these pumps are. I'm fairly certain I want to put another one in the house in the spring after tax returns come back
cholcombe,

What is the inside temperature of in your house? What is the outside temperature?

Poleikleng
poleikleng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-12, 11:44 AM   #5
cholcombe
Helper EcoRenovator

Good question. It's 70 in the kitchen, 56 at the ends of the house. It's a pretty big drop off. I think it's because it's an 100yr old house and has many door ways. There are no doors there anymore but just the smaller opening probably restricts the air mixing a bit. It's about a 1200 sq ft house give or take. Outside temps have been in the 20's to 30's mostly. I bubble wrapped the windows. That helped a little.
Old 01-05-12, 12:55 PM   #6
poleikleng
Helper EcoRenovator

Quote:
Originally Posted by cholcombe View Post
Good question. It's 70 in the kitchen, 56 at the ends of the house. It's a pretty big drop off. I think it's because it's an 100yr old house and has many door ways. There are no doors there anymore but just the smaller opening probably restricts the air mixing a bit. It's about a 1200 sq ft house give or take. Outside temps have been in the 20's to 30's mostly. I bubble wrapped the windows. That helped a little.
cholcombe,

Can you measure the temperature of the hot air coming from the inside air handler? What temperature setting do you have the remote set to? Is the remote line-of-sight to the inside air handler?

We installed an 18k Fujitsu last May.

Poleikleng
poleikleng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-12, 12:59 PM   #7
cholcombe
Helper EcoRenovator

I have the remote set to 74. I'm not sure how I would get the temperature measurement of the air coming off the handler. I don't have a temp gun or anything. I have a little arduino temp sensor but it's not very accurate because the air handler blades keep moving. So I think I'm getting a mix of warm air/cold air in the sensing.