EcoRenovator  

Go Back   EcoRenovator > Improvements > Tools
Advanced Search

Blog 60+ Home Energy Saving Tips Recent Posts Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-16-18, 09:28 AM   #1
pinballlooking
Super Moderator

Default Harbor Freight 30” 5 drawer tool cart.

My quest to get organized.

Price is $199.99 20% coupon can’t be used on it I found a coupon for $169 it you watch you can get a little better coupon.
The 4 drawer was on sale for $99 this was a good deal but I liked the 5 drawer better.

Let’s face it. It is a Snap On knock off for a fraction of the price. (both are made in China)
All ball bearing drawers it has a good feel to it very nice.
I wanted a blue one but I wanted a side shelf they only have red side shelfs so far so I bought a red one so the shelf would match.
This tool box gets great reviews.

Just a few more things to do before I start filling it up.
Now that I have a clear floor car lift I can roll this up and under the car.
That way tools will be close at hand.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20180716_091812 (2).jpg
Views:	2376
Size:	100.2 KB
ID:	8324  

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Solar Install 12.5 Kwh-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Mini Split installs -

EV Chevy Volt -

Last edited by pinballlooking; 07-16-18 at 07:04 PM..
pinballlooking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-18, 10:21 AM   #2
natethebrown
Apprentice EcoRenovator

I am looking forward to buying my own Harbor Freight Tool Box, probably the 72" one. Considering the quality is nearly the exact same as the boxes from the big box stores (Lowes, Homedepot, etc) and is cheaper, seems like a good deal to me. The only way to get a higher quality box (MAC, Snap-on) is to refinance the house, seems like a no brainer.
natethebrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-18, 10:27 PM   #3
pinballlooking
Super Moderator

I have the tool box put together. I bought some magnetic tool holders to rivet to the top lid.

My 24" breaker bar fits right down through the top on the right side very nice.

I have three other craftsman ball bearing boxes this box is on par with those. This one will not replace my other boxes it is just much more mobile.
I will take it to the job at hand.

I will add some assembly hints.
Castors make them tight when you install them. Do not tighten any other bolts up completely until completely built then tighten from the top down.
This will work out well if you do it this way.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20180717_224235.jpg
Views:	5602
Size:	114.9 KB
ID:	8327   Click image for larger version

Name:	20180717_224308.jpg
Views:	3312
Size:	63.5 KB
ID:	8328  

Solar Install 12.5 Kwh-

Mini Split installs -

EV Chevy Volt -

Last edited by pinballlooking; 07-18-18 at 10:12 AM..
Old 07-19-18, 07:10 PM   #4
Elcam84
Apprentice EcoRenovator

I have looked at that one before and its a very nice box. I like the long tool storage allot.

My boxes are the old craftsman boxes and well they are junk and were even when new but back then they were the only game in town other than the tool truck guys. And like you said you need a mortgage for them...

I have been looking at the big husky box as well as the similar sized HF box. I really like they are available in colors other than red. For me red boxes make me think cheap crappy craftsman box.
I have also been looking at the newer craftsman boxes as those arent bad and not red... And there are some fair deals since one of our stores is closing.

I bought one of those long $250ish boxes from Depot with the wood top. Its a handy box for the garage however it isnt as well made as the HF ones. A couple drawers arent quite square etc but it works fine for a box I dont use every day.
Elcam84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-18, 08:55 AM   #5
pinballlooking
Super Moderator

Installed my retractable air hose. (It will get a one air hose connector soon)
Added shelf to the tool box and added more socket organizers.
I have two of my magnetic strips mounted with rivets ans washers. I am going to get one more then install those. That door space is very useful space.

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20180722_141229.jpg
Views:	1885
Size:	63.1 KB
ID:	8330   Click image for larger version

Name:	20180722_183032.jpg
Views:	6320
Size:	134.4 KB
ID:	8331  

Solar Install 12.5 Kwh-

Mini Split installs -

EV Chevy Volt -