EcoRenovator  

Go Back   EcoRenovator > Improvements > Appliances & Gadgets
Advanced Search

Blog 60+ Home Energy Saving Tips Recent Posts Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-15-13, 08:14 PM   #11
stevehull
Steve Hull

Is this an air type heating system? I find that leaving the fan on the "on" position reduce hot/cold spots (and yes does use kWhr).

See if the cycling is reduced by putting the fan to "on" instead of auto.

Steve

Old 01-15-13, 08:27 PM   #12
Daox
Administrator

I'm not really worried about cycling time. Its on for a half hour, that has to be plenty.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
&
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Daox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-13, 05:46 AM   #13
Mikesolar
Master EcoRenovator

It takes a minute or 2 for any gas combustion to get to proper combustion temp (not air or liquid temp) which is when it will start to burn efficiently. Oil is way longer. The real issue is start/stop cycles on the equipment as the contracts are rated for a limited number of cycles. Hence....modulation....
Mikesolar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-14, 09:28 AM   #14
Daox
Administrator

I'm bumping this.

What are some of you guy's typical furnace run times?

I'll have to remeasure mine. I now have the thermostat set to +/- 2°F. So, the temperature swing is fairly large. Sadly, my newer cyberstat wifi thermostat only does +/- .5, 1, 2 or 3. I liked the +/- 1.5°F my old thermostat had.

&
Old 11-17-14, 07:48 PM   #15
Daox
Administrator

I timed the furnace on time tonight. It was 12F ambient. My thermostat is set to 70 +/- 2F. The run time was 29 minutes on. I didn't time the off time.

I'm contemplating going to +/- 1F. That would keep it more comfortable, and I don't think that a 15 minute on time is horribly short.

What do you guys think?

&

Last edited by Daox; 11-17-14 at 07:51 PM..
Old 11-17-14, 09:28 PM   #16
jeff5may
Supreme EcoRenovator

Send a message via Yahoo to jeff5may

As long as the system spends most of its cycle time burning gas and blowing hot air, it isn't short cycling. Many apartment and condo units have furnaces that have very little "dead" time waiting for heating calls in between run cycles. I lived in one a number of years ago that I swear cycled fifteen or more times an hour. Vent 1 minute, light burner, blower kicks on, burner shuts off 2 minutes later, blower shuts off 1 minute later. 3 Minutes later, vent kicks on and here we go again. Not a well designed heating system.
jeff5may is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-14, 10:27 PM   #17
theoldwizard1
Apprentice EcoRenovator

I can only tell you approximate numbers and something to watch for.

I have a 1400 sq. ft. trilevel. It has above average insulation and double pane thermo-windows (far from "super" insulation). Tonight, the outside temp is in the 20s. The wind gusting up to about 30 mph. It takes a 2 degree drop on my digital thermostat to trigger the "call" for heat from my 85% efficient horizontal furnace. Run time is less than 10 minutes. Off time is 10-20 minutes.

When it is EXTREMELY cold (below zero) and the wind is blowing hard my furnace DOES short cycle from hitting the over-heat limit switch. According to one service person (who I agree with), this is because the furnace has to run for a longer than typical AND the horizontally mounted furnace (mounted in the crawl space) does not allow "free flow" of air out and into the house. Warm air actually has to make 2 - 90° turns before it gets into the main supply duct.

With this combination of weather occurs, the inside temp can get down to below 64 even when the thermostat is set to above 72 ! Electric heat is the only way to get the temp up to 70. OR ... put on a sweat shirt and an extra blanket on the bed.

Blower speed is at maximum. Burner pressure is at minimum.
theoldwizard1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-14, 10:45 PM   #18
NiHaoMike
Supreme EcoRenovator

Quote:
Originally Posted by theoldwizard1 View Post
When it is EXTREMELY cold (below zero) and the wind is blowing hard my furnace DOES short cycle from hitting the over-heat limit switch. According to one service person (who I agree with), this is because the furnace has to run for a longer than typical AND the horizontally mounted furnace (mounted in the crawl space) does not allow "free flow" of air out and into the house. Warm air actually has to make 2 - 90° turns before it gets into the main supply duct.
Blower speed is at maximum. Burner pressure is at minimum.
The ductwork is way too restrictive.
Old 11-18-14, 12:20 AM   #19
theoldwizard1
Apprentice EcoRenovator

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiHaoMike View Post
The ductwork is way too restrictive.
Yes ! 2 - 90s before the main trunk !!!
theoldwizard1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-14, 04:44 PM   #20
Ormston
Apprentice EcoRenovator

I was once asked to look at a device that had been retrofitted to an oil boiler heating a swimming pool.
The device had been sold as a fuel saver for what seemed like a lot of money at the time, I think it was something like £200 (around 23 years ago). The owner reconed it had paid for itself in the first year and was very keen for me to fix it as it had stopped working.

This £200 box contained a small hand soldered board with a 555 timer switching a relay. The fault turned out to be a failed relay so was an easy fix.

The device worked by delaying the startup of the burner when the thermostat called for heat, there was a pot on the fromt of the box labeled low to high saving. The higher the saving selected the longer the delay before starting the burner. I think it was something like 20 to 30 mins delay.
This delay has the effect of increasing boiler run times by forcing longer off periods.

I have no idea how well this works in a domestic application, it's on my to do list to try with my heat pump.

Steve

Ormston is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ormston For This Useful Post:
jeff5may (11-19-14)