EcoRenovator  

Go Back   EcoRenovator > Improvements > Appliances & Gadgets
Advanced Search

Blog 60+ Home Energy Saving Tips Recent Posts Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-09-12, 08:33 PM   #1
Wanna Beco
Helper EcoRenovator

Default Please help defrost timer

I am having a hard time with a defrost timer. I can not figure out how to get it out. I posted a video and I hope I can get help from someone here.

HELP! me remove my defrost timer! - YouTube

Let me know if you can help. I have broke so many little tabs and crap.. uhhhgg!!

And can someone tell me how to embed you tube videos.

Last edited by Wanna Beco; 01-09-12 at 08:45 PM..
Wanna Beco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-12, 10:50 AM   #2
Wanna Beco
Helper EcoRenovator

Really?!?!? No one on this stie can look at that vid and tell me how to get my defrost timer out without breaking the plastic all to bits. You guys on here build your own soloar panels and employ better than stock heating and cooling systems in your homes? Would you help me if I had big boobs??? How bout if I say please... with sugar on top?
Old 01-16-12, 06:23 PM   #3
AC_Hacker
Supreme EcoRenovator

I suggest you use a hammer and chisel.

I have removed large part of my driveway with just a hammer and chisel.

It should work in your case. Make sure the hammer is heavy enough.
Old 01-16-12, 06:52 PM   #4
Ryland
Master EcoRenovator

I can't even tell what is holding it in.
I would start by pulling the little gold/metal tabs off or bend them up... they might pull off then, you could also just unplug the timer and bypass it, I assume you want to remove it so that you don't have the auto defrost on your fridge? at least that is why I would want to remove it.
I'm all for braking stuff then gluing it back together.
Ryland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-12, 08:12 PM   #5
Wanna Beco
Helper EcoRenovator

wow, those are..........UNEXPECTED replies!.

uhm.. for one thing. I have already broke so many pieces and tabs that I don't want to do any more harm.

I want to remove it to test it. I am having a problem with this fridge. It is not defrosting. Every 4 weeks I have to take it apart and remove a ton of frost build up from the freezer. It always happens when I get enough money together to actually buy some real food. (currently unemployed) And I don't want to lose any more food as it is a precious commodity right now.

I tried pulling on the gold tabs but stopped when I heard a crack. It might be the way to remove them and I just need to use more force, but I need to know for sure as I can not get another fridge right now. (see above... still not working. )

I am due to defrost again soon. I noticed today that my fridge was almost room temp.
Old 01-16-12, 10:03 PM   #6
Ryland
Master EcoRenovator

Can you find a parts list that has an exploded diagram?

Otherwise taking still photos instead of video might be a good option, that video was kind of fuzzy and I don't think that it had any advantage over still shots.
You might also try stopping in a repair shop and see if they have a diagram or can give any advice.
Ryland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-12, 11:35 PM   #7
MN Renovator
Less usage=Cheaper bills

I thought I replied to this on the same day or the morning after your original post, apparently it didn't post. My suggestion was to just mount a new one wherever you feel like or test the one you have in place without removing it. The current location is so you can watch the timer turn and determine when its defrosting. When the thick mark on the fridge matches with the thick mark of the timer it should defrost, if you go a day and the defrost timer doesn't move at all and the fridge has been running, then you know timer is shot. If its just not triggering a defrost when the timer hits the defrost point, I suppose a little more investigation is needed.

If it was a matter of food or no food, it seems there are plenty of low cost used refrigerators on Craigslist. I know a few people who were strapped for cash who snagged one for less than their grocery bill.

Hope this helps! To be honest though, I don't think its going to matter if you must break it off its mount if you need to remove it for testing. I'd probably grab some glue and cardboard to rough it in place if I had to but defrost timers don't care where or how they are mounted.

Last edited by MN Renovator; 01-16-12 at 11:38 PM..
MN Renovator is offline   Reply With Quote