EcoRenovator  

Go Back   EcoRenovator > Improvements > Conservation
Advanced Search

Blog 60+ Home Energy Saving Tips Recent Posts

Old 02-01-09, 11:16 PM   #1
jthistle
Lurking Renovator

Default Dual flush toilet conversion

Has anyone ever converted their old toilet to a dual flush. I found a kit and wondered if it was any good or if someone had one to recommend. Here is the kit dual flush by SelectAFlush : dual flush conversion kit for water conservation. Convert to dual flush & SAVE water guaranteed!. Let me know what you think.

jthistle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-09, 03:22 AM   #2
SVOboy
Administrator

I don't have any recommended kits since all of them that I've used were converted before I was around, but it's definitely worth it.

Welcome to ecorenovator!
SVOboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-09, 06:22 AM   #3
Daox
Administrator

Perhaps someone else will chime in here. However, the only other toilet conversion I've seen is the two flush system and it looks like it costs more.

Welcome to ER!
Daox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-09, 11:22 AM   #4
jthistle
Lurking Renovator

It looks like the Two Flush system is adjustable.
Old 02-02-09, 09:01 PM   #5
dremd
Need More Eco

Send a message via AIM to dremd

If I was going to spend $30+ on a conversion I'd just spend $100 on a HET from Sams (not on their website).
dremd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-09, 10:01 PM   #6
jthistle
Lurking Renovator

Quote:
HET from Sams
I'm not familiar with that acronym, what does it mean?
Old 02-02-09, 10:03 PM   #7
dremd
Need More Eco

Send a message via AIM to dremd

HET= High Efficiency Toilet

Basically the Energy star of toilets.
dremd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-09, 11:04 PM   #8
jthistle
Lurking Renovator

I can achieve the same effect by placing something in my tank to reduce its volume along with the dual flush to achieve the desired flush capacities. Combined with the 29.95 dual flush conversion updating my 3 toilets will cost ~$100. Which is $200 less than 3 HET toilets.
Old 02-04-09, 05:50 AM   #9
pottygirl
Lurking Renovator

Default Dual Flush toilets, some basics

A regular toilet is not designed to flush paper and solid waste with reduced amounts of water, so the likelihood of clogging or having to flush twice after installing a conversion kit increases. Standard US toilets clear the bowl with siphon technology, so the diameter of the trap way has to be a small as possible (please view siphon vs. washdown technology here .) If you are serious about saving water, want a toilet that really works and is affordable, I would highly recommend a Caroma Dual Flush toilet. Caroma toilets offer a patented dual flush technology consisting of a 0.8 Gal flush for liquid waste and a 1.6 Gal flush for solids. Caroma, an Australian company set the standard by giving the world its first successful two button dual flush system in the nineteen eighties and has since perfected the technology. Also, with a full 3.5” trap way, these toilets virtually never clog. All of Caroma’s toilets are on the list of WaterSense labeled HET’s Find a WaterSense Labeled High-Efficiency Toilet | WaterSense | US EPA and also qualify for several rebate programs currently available throughout the US as well as LEED points. Please go to Caroma: Quality bathroom products | Caroma for more detailed information or visit eco Transitions to see how we flush a potato with the half flush (0.8 gallons), meant for liquid waste. To learn more about toilets you can also visit my blog Water conservation and Sustainable living. Best regards, Andrea Paulinelli
pottygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-09, 10:26 AM   #10
jthistle
Lurking Renovator

The additional research I have done the web shows that you are correct about the flush design of older toilets not being able to function correctly with lower flush volumes. However I do not see how you would think I would consider a $250 toilet when I was skeptical about buying a $100 toilet. I think I am going to take dremd's advice and checkout my local Sam's Club.

I also do not appreciate that you did not identify yourself as a Carona distributor.