EcoRenovator  

Go Back   EcoRenovator > Improvements > Conservation
Advanced Search

Blog 60+ Home Energy Saving Tips Recent Posts Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-18-09, 11:47 AM   #31
Higgy
The Gardener

Hey Metro...after March, where are you moving to?

Last edited by Higgy; 02-18-09 at 11:49 AM..
Higgy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-09, 02:39 PM   #32
MetroMPG
Infrequent noob

Ontario - 1000 Islands. I just came east for the winter.

• To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

• To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

MetroMPG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-09, 06:07 PM   #33
Higgy
The Gardener

Gotcha. Just wondering what you're going back to. I'm curious to see what new things you're going to do to your new(old) dwelling when you return.
Higgy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-09, 12:42 PM   #34
MetroMPG
Infrequent noob

Oh, I mostly spend the summers on my boat. Even less insulation than this apartment! (And smaller!)

Old 02-20-09, 04:28 PM   #35
MetroMPG
Infrequent noob

So, it's been long enough since the radiant floor heating was switched on (downstairs tenant using the furnace) that I have a picture of how it's affected my power use:

I compared 3 days this week against days in the pre-heated floor era where the daily low temperature was within +-1C of each of the recent 3 days.

That worked out to comparing 3 days to 21 previous days this winter.

The result: average of 16% lower energy usage since the radiant floor tenant moved in!

And that's without me turning down the thermostat. But with the superior comfort of a radiant floor, I think I can twist the dial back another notch or two without sacrificing any comfort. I didn't want to do this until I had some "controlled" stats, but now that I've got those, even more savings are in the works.

Old 09-14-09, 06:41 PM   #36
Christ
Apprentice EcoRenovator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetroMPG View Post
So, it's been long enough since the radiant floor heating was switched on (downstairs tenant using the furnace) that I have a picture of how it's affected my power use:

I compared 3 days this week against days in the pre-heated floor era where the daily low temperature was within +-1C of each of the recent 3 days.

That worked out to comparing 3 days to 21 previous days this winter.

The result: average of 16% lower energy usage since the radiant floor tenant moved in!

And that's without me turning down the thermostat. But with the superior comfort of a radiant floor, I think I can twist the dial back another notch or two without sacrificing any comfort. I didn't want to do this until I had some "controlled" stats, but now that I've got those, even more savings are in the works.
We had the windows open all day and night usually, when we lived in an upstairs apartment... the thermostat was controlled by the downstairs neighbor, and she liked it 80. Good thing the heating bill was covered in the rent!
Christ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-09, 09:46 PM   #37
NiHaoMike
Supreme EcoRenovator

Have you thought about getting a window heat pump?