EcoRenovator  

Go Back   EcoRenovator > Improvements > Geothermal & Heat Pumps
Advanced Search

Blog 60+ Home Energy Saving Tips Recent Posts Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-05-20, 05:00 PM   #1
PeterLee1980
Lurking Renovator

Default Condenser Fan Replacement Questions

Hello!

I purchased a very small (3000 BTU) specialized mini split, used, to be used with an altitude tent (used for triathlon training, it simulates a low oxygen environment to help performance). The evaporator goes inside the altitude tent and then the condenser goes outside the tent and you can sleep inside the tent and still have it be relatively comfortable.

So I bought this used on eBay and it arrived damaged. It has a plastic condenser fan blade which is garbage. Several reviews of the Rollicool unit describe this same problem with the plastic condenser fan breaking apart.

I reached out to Rollicool but they were no help and were not willing to sell me a replacement fan blade.

This is a bit out of my wheel house but I am trying to determine if I could get an aftermarket fan blade or possibly a new motor and get it working. The stats are:

Motor is 115V, CCW rotation, 5/16" shaft. The mounting bolts are square 3.5" pattern (top left right, bottom left right, the fasteners at 12,3,6,9 oclock hold the motor halves together not used for mounting to the condenser bracket) and and the flanges on the motor are in the middle of the motor casing. I haven't seen that mount design on any aftermarket motors. The fan blade is 10" diameter.

The motor works so I'm wondering if I could use an aftermarket metal fan. I'm not quite clear on how the hub vs hubless works. I'm guessing I would need to find a CCW 10" fan with a 5/16" shaft and the hub on the discharge side?

Any advice or suggestions would be appreciated.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20200521_103444.jpg
Views:	399
Size:	461.8 KB
ID:	9003   Click image for larger version

Name:	20200704_194451.jpg
Views:	392
Size:	492.9 KB
ID:	9004  
PeterLee1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-20, 12:14 AM   #2
jeff5may
Supreme EcoRenovator

Send a message via Yahoo to jeff5may

i'm sure you could hunt and hunt, and eventually find a fan blade to fit the shaft (hint: range hood, space heater, or bathroom exhaust vent), but why? The whole assembly looks like a ching chong high velocity tabletop fan. Walmart mainstay or climate zone under $20; lasko or holmes or honeywell under $40; stanley or dewalt, spendy. Oh, forgot hazard fraught tools: central machinkery prolly 8.99, pitchburg $33.33 (right there in between hypertuff and holmes). Leave the original out. Measure, measure, measure, go buy a few. If in doubt, buy some 3 speed 9 inch fans. Mock it up, measure some more, plug n play to test and tweak. If you don't like it, pop open the next one and repeat. Once a winner has been determined, mount it permanent, cut n splice wires, Bob's your auntie. Take the losers back for a refund.

Don't forget to take pics and show and tell. We loves improvised solutions to expensive problems here.
jeff5may is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-20, 09:29 PM   #3
PeterLee1980
Lurking Renovator

Excellent idea, why didn't I think of that??

I will do some hunting and post back when I find something.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff5may View Post
i'm sure you could hunt and hunt, and eventually find a fan blade to fit the shaft (hint: range hood, space heater, or bathroom exhaust vent), but why? The whole assembly looks like a ching chong high velocity tabletop fan. Walmart mainstay or climate zone under $20; lasko or holmes or honeywell under $40; stanley or dewalt, spendy. Oh, forgot hazard fraught tools: central machinkery prolly 8.99, pitchburg $33.33 (right there in between hypertuff and holmes). Leave the original out. Measure, measure, measure, go buy a few. If in doubt, buy some 3 speed 9 inch fans. Mock it up, measure some more, plug n play to test and tweak. If you don't like it, pop open the next one and repeat. Once a winner has been determined, mount it permanent, cut n splice wires, Bob's your auntie. Take the losers back for a refund.

Don't forget to take pics and show and tell. We loves improvised solutions to expensive problems here.
PeterLee1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-20, 01:22 AM   #4
WyrTwister
Master EcoRenovator

Check W W Granger or , if you have a Johnstone Supply . Or other HVAC supply house .

God bless
Wyr
WyrTwister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-20, 10:42 AM   #5
MN Renovator
Less usage=Cheaper bills

It really sucks that the manufacturer isn't willing to supply a replacement.

Sometimes manufacturers only sell through distributors, in that case you would need to find a supply house that sells their equipment and work with them for the parts. Manufacturers rarely want to work with consumers. ..but if it's a case where their equipment is garbage and they stopped producing the part or just don't sell parts in general to force equipment replacement than you might be completely out of luck finding a replacement that's an identical match.

I bought a replacement blade for a condenser from these folks. Look in page 2950 and 2951.
https://www.grainger.com/content/general-catalog
These folks are generally geared to selling to professionals but they usually don't turn down someone buying a one-off item. I've bought about half a dozen things from them and made up a company name and gave them my address and phone number to make things easier, but I don't think it's really needed.

MN Renovator is offline   Reply With Quote