EcoRenovator  

Go Back   EcoRenovator > Improvements > Geothermal & Heat Pumps
Advanced Search

Blog 60+ Home Energy Saving Tips Recent Posts Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-17-20, 01:40 AM   #11
jeff5may
Supreme EcoRenovator

Send a message via Yahoo to jeff5may

Nokiasixteth,

Hey! How did the board repair go?

To answer your question, a 1 ton unit isn't that powerful. No matter what kind of improvement you try, you're not going to save much money. Assuming you are talking about an inverter unit like the repair discussion, there's even less efficiency to gain. Maybe at full speed, in turbo cool mode, you might save a few percent of energy.

jeff5may is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-20, 06:08 AM   #12
nokiasixteth
Journeyman EcoRenovator

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff5may View Post
Nokiasixteth,

Hey! How did the board repair go?

To answer your question, a 1 ton unit isn't that powerful. No matter what kind of improvement you try, you're not going to save much money. Assuming you are talking about an inverter unit like the repair discussion, there's even less efficiency to gain. Maybe at full speed, in turbo cool mode, you might save a few percent of energy.
Board repair didnt go to hot. The board had an angle . And solder dripped over another part of the board now i have to figure how to unsolder that part of the board also . Ill figure it out i always do . Kinda like when i got my patent filed it was harder for me to do the patent than the actual design of the invention.

The 2 ton is the one that the grasshopper messed up the 1 ton is my backup 15 seer kozykool . Its like 6 or 7 years old.It still cools like a champ.
I mist on the coils when it gets super hot. I dont like to because of the well water i am on.
nokiasixteth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-20, 11:17 PM   #13
MN Renovator
Less usage=Cheaper bills

Quote:
Originally Posted by nokiasixteth View Post
Board repair didnt go to hot. The board had an angle . And solder dripped over another part of the board now i have to figure how to unsolder that part of the board also
..snip..
I find desoldering braids (also called a solder wick) to work well for soaking up solder, you put the copper braid between the solder and the soldering iron and it soaks up the solder.

..but If it dripped over onto another part and that part wasn't hot enough to solder to, it shouldn't have been able to make a strong solder joint. I imagine a small knock against the unwanted solder blob with the flat blade of a screwdriver or even picking it off with a fingernail often would knock it loose.
MN Renovator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-20, 12:56 AM   #14
WyrTwister
Master EcoRenovator

Or a solder sucker .

God bless
Wyr
WyrTwister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-20, 07:35 PM   #15
Elcam84
Apprentice EcoRenovator

The blanket around the compressor is there for sound deadening. If your unit didn't come with one you can purchase one and put it on. They make a tremendous improvement in the sound level.

As said earlier the compressor is cooled by the return vapor line from the evaporator. And yes black absorbs and dissipates heat faster than any other color but it doesn't make and appreciable difference.

As for water on the condenser coils. There has been testing done and it shows no improvement in efficiency. In some cases it causes it's own issues with the high side pressure dropping and then the liquid refrigerant isn't pushed as hard through the TXV so now the TXV has to open more and it gets into a cyclic problem.

One interesting study showed that light amounts of dirt on the condenser coils actually improves the efficiency due to the turbulence of the air flowing through.
Elcam84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-20, 02:26 PM   #16
jeff5may
Supreme EcoRenovator

Send a message via Yahoo to jeff5may

Ok so if you have a 20 seer, electronic expansion valve metered, temperature following fan control, prone to expensive eventual control board failure, super bowl ring having air conditioner, water mist or flooding of capacitors won't help you. For the trailer living in, 27 year old, cap tube having, twisty knob perpetually running, window shaking Joe dirt fools, different story.

Translation: if you just spent 3000 dollars on an air conditioner, you shouldn't need misting assistance.

jeff5may is offline   Reply With Quote