EcoRenovator  

Go Back   EcoRenovator > Improvements > Renovations & New Construction
Advanced Search

Blog 60+ Home Energy Saving Tips Recent Posts Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-26-20, 10:52 AM   #21
Wanna Beco
Helper EcoRenovator

So, another update. I am going with the 16 seer trane. It is 8300. I hope it pays off. Nervous and excited at the same time.

Wanna Beco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-20, 12:16 PM   #22
WyrTwister
Master EcoRenovator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wanna Beco View Post
So, another update. I am going with the 16 seer trane. It is 8300. I hope it pays off. Nervous and excited at the same time.
$ 8300 ?

What size / tons ?

DIY ?

Wyr
God bless
WyrTwister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-20, 09:29 PM   #23
Wanna Beco
Helper EcoRenovator

That is 3.5 tons 16 seer. Trane. No not DIY.
Old 05-27-20, 04:01 AM   #24
WyrTwister
Master EcoRenovator

$ 8300 ?

God bless
Wyr
Old 05-27-20, 09:46 AM   #25
Wanna Beco
Helper EcoRenovator

Yes in deed. I was concerned with the quotes, and this was the first guy that quoted me. I could have got a great deal on york. I could have got the same size unit about 1000 less. I just wanted to stick with trane. One of the main reasons is the reviews I've read say that the York units can be noisy. Our home is so poorly built that I was afraid the noise would get to me. I have had enough quotes to know that this one isn't out of line. I have had one quote that 15k for the same size unit. I didn't go with the cheapest, but with the best company. They have contractor licenses back to 1996. Good yelp and BBB reviews. They do everything on my schedule and their communication has been good. And now the owner can make his Yacht payment
Old 05-29-20, 02:33 PM   #26
Wanna Beco
Helper EcoRenovator

Called the company. There were going to include a wifi thermostat that was at least 5 years old. We all know in tech that is ancient. I called and asked if they would put in an ecobee and they agreed, no up-charge. I am happy with that.
Old 06-02-20, 05:04 PM   #27
Wanna Beco
Helper EcoRenovator

Have the unit installed. Very happy with the install and I am now ready to learn to use my ecobee. The unit is huge, twice the size of my old unit. It is working well and cooling the house. I think that is what it is supposed to do.

PS. There is no way I could have installed this myself. But I have been working on sealing up the house to make it more efficient. I will update as soon as I can.
The Following User Says Thank You to Wanna Beco For This Useful Post:
PaleMelanesian (06-03-20)
Old 07-07-20, 12:22 AM   #28
Wanna Beco
Helper EcoRenovator

Well if you don't have a Ecobee, I suggest you get one... or get whatever wifi thermostat you prefer.

I have set up a schedule that coincides with my utility companies '3 CARD MONTY" type of rates. Don't believe me... check out this page, it will make your mind boggle.

Aps Plans

My biggest complaint is that it does not allow me to make the AC go on at specific times. I can set temp requirements for an Hour time block, but not say, run for 10 minutes starting at 4 pm. My power rates go up at 3 pm so I cool to 75 from 2pm to 3pm and then at 3pm, I set it for 82 degrees.

What I have found is it give you a lot of data in a CSV file. I have discovered that the hours between 3 and 8pm my ac is on for an average of 55 minutes each day. I would like it to shut off at 3 and then run for 11 minutes each hour. I usually stays off until after 6. I am losing about 1 degree per half hour. I think the temp would be better maintained if I could control it with a timer. I am going to look into something with IFTT. All in all, I like the control the Ecobee is giving me.

Last edited by Wanna Beco; 07-08-20 at 09:51 AM..
Old 07-12-20, 09:19 PM   #29
Wanna Beco
Helper EcoRenovator

This may be my last post to this thread. Not a lot of lurking going on now.... If you ARE still reading then here is the update. Got my first bill. Temps have been up to 110 this month. Our bill was 83 bucks less than last month. I call that significant. I am very diligent about the hours of 3pm to 8pm. If you saw my energy monitor thread you are aware of why. We are even cheaper than just Last month!

Click image for larger version

Name:	firstbillsave1.pdf.jpg
Views:	403
Size:	20.7 KB
ID:	9011
Old 07-13-20, 02:16 AM   #30
WyrTwister
Master EcoRenovator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wanna Beco View Post
Well if you don't have a Ecobee, I suggest you get one... or get whatever wifi thermostat you prefer.

I have set up a schedule that coincides with my utility companies '3 CARD MONTY" type of rates. Don't believe me... check out this page, it will make your mind boggle.

Aps Plans

My biggest complaint is that it does not allow me to make the AC go on at specific times. I can set temp requirements for an Hour time block, but not say, run for 10 minutes starting at 4 pm. My power rates go up at 3 pm so I cool to 75 from 2pm to 3pm and then at 3pm, I set it for 82 degrees.

What I have found is it give you a lot of data in a CSV file. I have discovered that the hours between 3 and 8pm my ac is on for an average of 55 minutes each day. I would like it to shut off at 3 and then run for 11 minutes each hour. I usually stays off until after 6. I am losing about 1 degree per half hour. I think the temp would be better maintained if I could control it with a timer. I am going to look into something with IFTT. All in all, I like the control the Ecobee is giving me.

First of all , congratulations on the new mini split ! :-)

I am guessing your unit has an inverter drive variable speed compressor ? These have the ability to slow down as the unit approaches set point and run at a reduced speed / power draw . They only shut off if their minimum speed still provides moor cooling / heating than requited to maintain set point .

If you see it running , it does not mean it is drawing full load current .

I would like to caution everyone not to short cycle any HVAC equipment . Let the thermostat do its thing .

Enjoy !

God bless
Wyr

The Following User Says Thank You to WyrTwister For This Useful Post:
Wanna Beco (07-13-20)