EcoRenovator  

Go Back   EcoRenovator > Improvements > Geothermal & Heat Pumps
Advanced Search

Blog 60+ Home Energy Saving Tips Recent Posts Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-10-20, 01:54 AM   #1
WyrTwister
Master EcoRenovator

Default Mini split repair

We have a 13 SEER , non inverter , 12,000 BTU mini split in our living room . We DIY installed it , maybe , 5 years ago .

It had been " struggling " / hard starting recently . Yesterday PM it stopped cooling . The compressor would not start .

This morning , my Wife helped me work on it . First thing , I put the hoses & gauges on the low pressure service port . Turned it on & verified the compressor was not working & verified it was not out of
R-410a refrigerant .

We next removed the top sheet metal cover of the condenser / outside unit . This revealed the electrical . Located a 45 mfd capacitor . Removed it & attempted to test the capacitor with my ohm meter . Inconclusive .

Got online & went to the Johnstone Supply website & verified they had the capacitor in stock . For a little less than $ 13 , I decided to drive over there & purchase a new capacitor .

I had a Dr. appointment right after lunch , so , by the time I ate lunch , did not have time to install the capacitor .

When I got home from my appointment , I installed the capacitor and turned the mini split on . It seemed like it might have been cooling , some .

Left it running while my Wife and I went to Walmart to pick up a box fan . Upon our return , the temperature of the living room had come down , some .

I lost some refrigerant this morning . Leaky blue low pressure / suction side hose . I plan to use a different blue hose and check pressures again , in the morning ( around 106F this afternoon and too hot for this old , fat man to mess with it in the afternoon ) .

May have to top off the R-410a refrigerant . I have a jug of R-410a in the utility room . Then we will see what we will see .

God bless
Wyr

WyrTwister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-20, 09:05 PM   #2
pinballlooking
Super Moderator

Sounds like you are on the right track. Good luck!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Solar Install 12.5 Kwh-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Mini Split installs -

EV Chevy Volt -
pinballlooking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-20, 12:44 AM   #3
jeff5may
Supreme EcoRenovator

Send a message via Yahoo to jeff5may

Sounds eerily like my dad. Fingers crossed it isn't. Here's a typical call on any given day:

"Hey Jeff, can you come take a look at this yesterday? The dad blame ____ quit." Ok dad, no problemo. Gimme a minute. Grab job bag ___ and throw it in shotgun.

So I get to the place (usually a rental, barn, shop, or shed of some sort) and my dad is stuck in a trap with two buckets full of dollar store, Walmart and harbor freight slop tools and hardware. Been here yesterday and before I got there today, and it's gotta be this. If it's obvious damage (plumbing or bent/dent/rip/ravel), I know he reached the end of his rope and now what? If the cause isn't obvious, I start asking questions.

Chances are, either way, Walmart meter or harbor freight pressure gauge or super widget pegged and died in short order, so dad had a hunch and blew up 30 bucks worth of fuses and "cross fingers" parts yesterday. So now I'm it. Yayyyy.

Always first words: "Ok dad, gimme a 2 minute rundown and then we can get outta here." Fully 9 out of 9.1 times, I have an "aha" moment during the speech, and either turn directly to the solution staring at me, or grab an instrument and find he's been chasing his tail. After the speech, it's what about the gorilla wrench or did you check the other leg of the thing? "Nope, broke the blargeddy daggone toolie thing with a 3 foot pipe. What other leg?"

"Ok, hold on a second. Yep. I know what to do. Go to appliance house and get a trailer heat sequencer. Module number b. Not the relay, not the fuse, the whole module. Get the 40va control transformer and a 12 inch nipple for the gas thingy. I don't know, it's a heat pump. The gas is emergency backup. I don't judge. Then go next door and ask for the Leinie canoe paddle."

Zoom!

Chop, cut, bypass, get online. Start up a chit chat with impatient whoever. "Man, I though we were doomed fur Shure!" Nope, Neil got it done again. Neil who? Mr. Armstrong to you! Pipe wrench of doom, conqueror of the lost, breaker of the tenacious hordes!
"Ok man, it's just a tool..."

Grrrrr... Oh, hi dad! I need a paddle, NOW!

"They were out, so I got you a Busch light."

Thanks, El cheapo. Go cut the power.

Hey guys, who wants a shotgun shower? No body? U sissies!

Ten minutes later, we gone! Here dad, take this poss water. Nope, nobody wants it. Nope, way past a paddle, I'm ready for a one armed scissor.

Last edited by jeff5may; 07-11-20 at 01:20 AM..
jeff5may is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-20, 03:24 AM   #4
WyrTwister
Master EcoRenovator

Thursday afternoon , at the trip to the orthopedic Dr. I had injections in both knees . Yesterday they were not too happy , so no work got done on the mini split . Seem to be doing better , this morning . Need some coffee .

Will give the MS a shot and see if it needs a shot of R-410a .

You all take care .

God bless
Wyr
WyrTwister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-20, 07:15 PM   #5
Elcam84
Apprentice EcoRenovator

The biggest failure item in minisplits is the power supply. They are jam packed full of big electrolytic capacitors which are the most likely item to fail in all electronics.

I have a condenser for an 18K btu Pridiom aka Amcorair minisplit that I have been trying to find an indoor unit for. Also have a spare new power supply for it as well. Long story on why I have them... But they kept suspecting a powersupply issue and kept sending parts.

Elcam84 is offline   Reply With Quote