EcoRenovator  

Go Back   EcoRenovator > Improvements > Geothermal & Heat Pumps
Advanced Search

Blog 60+ Home Energy Saving Tips Recent Posts Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-13-16, 02:53 AM   #21
STM
Helper EcoRenovator

Cyl Tec Inert Gas Cylinder - 80 Cubic Foot

$250 for full 80cf bottle shipped straight to you from Cyberweld. I'll call the local places for price comparison but I think I'd be willing to spend that for a bottle I can also use for my welder.

STM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-16, 10:25 AM   #22
mejunkhound
Apprentice EcoRenovator

If you are going to get an 80 CF bottle for welding also, get it filled with Argon, more useful for welding and only about $15 more (at least around here) for an Argon refill vs. nitrogen.
mejunkhound is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to mejunkhound For This Useful Post:
STM (07-13-16)
Old 07-13-16, 10:31 AM   #23
STM
Helper EcoRenovator

I priced it for 75/25 argon/co2, most common mig shield mix.
Old 07-13-16, 10:36 AM   #24
pinballlooking
Super Moderator

If you even get a smaller cylinder off Clist our place just charged a upcharge for the bigger cylinder.
In my case a very big savings.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Solar Install 12.5 Kwh-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Mini Split installs -

EV Chevy Volt -
pinballlooking is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to pinballlooking For This Useful Post:
STM (07-13-16)
Old 07-13-16, 11:34 AM   #25
STM
Helper EcoRenovator

I checked craigslist but didn't see anything. Will be next week before I have the "disposable" funds to buy one, maybe something will turn up in the meantime. I'll be buying a pound of silphos 5% today though, so I can practice brazing.
Old 07-13-16, 11:40 AM   #26
pinballlooking
Super Moderator

Check often good deals don’t last long. I paid $10-$15 for one and $50 for another one a few months before that. You just never know what will pop up. The $50 one looked new but my place I get gas exchanges them anyway so it did not really mater.

Be careful one guy was selling them for really cheap but when I got there they said property of coke. luckily one did not say that. Than won’t work no one will fill a cylinder like that and right fully so. ( He cleans out foreclosed property)

Around here most 80’s are rented so I stayed away from those. But that is not the same everywhere.

Solar Install 12.5 Kwh-

Mini Split installs -

EV Chevy Volt -
pinballlooking is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to pinballlooking For This Useful Post:
STM (07-14-16)
Old 07-13-16, 07:24 PM   #27
Xringer
Lex Parsimoniae

CO2 pressure is not too hard to control. When I used CO2 during my Sanyo #2 repair, I was able to dump the output end, into a little tub of water, so I could tweak the valve to get a slow stream of CO2 bubbles in the tub..

http://ecorenovator.org/forum/geothe...r-project.html

There's a picture on my set-up in Post #1. The CO2 tank is over by the floor jack..
The Following User Says Thank You to Xringer For This Useful Post:
STM (07-14-16)
Old 07-13-16, 11:23 PM   #28
jeff5may
Supreme EcoRenovator

Send a message via Yahoo to jeff5may

Quote:
Originally Posted by STM View Post
I priced it for 75/25 argon/co2, most common mig shield mix.
If the blend has more than about 10 percent CO2 in it, it is impossible to get spray transfer with all but the very expensive pulse welders. This equates to slow and low current without much spatter, or faster and hotter with lots of sparks and spatter going everywhere. I use C25 gas, but it is on metal core and flux core welding (carbon steel) processes that create spatter anyway. It's also on a small welder that won't run fast and hot anyway. Sometimes I use straight CO2 with the same machine to get stuff done faster if I don't care how it looks. More CO2 usually equates to more weld porosity, which doesn't look pretty at all.

If you have a MIG machine that will do 150 or more amps, or may ever want to weld stainless or aluminum, get pure argon. Neither of these two metals like CO2 at all; using it in your shielding gas spells bad welds. Anything you want to look like it is expensive and stronger than it is should be welded with straight argon or helium, or a blend of the two.

An 80 CF bottle is pretty large for home use. It's also pretty bulky and cumbersome to move. If you don't do a lot of welding projects, it could take months or years to consume. They don't call it heavy industry for no reason.
jeff5may is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jeff5may For This Useful Post:
STM (07-14-16)
Old 07-14-16, 12:01 AM   #29
STM
Helper EcoRenovator

My squirt gun is a Lincoln 125, 120v running flux core now, mainly want the gas for thinner stuff, I'll still have flux core and stick for heavier iron. Done a tiny bit of O/A welding but the MIG is much faster and foolproof. Not too worried about tank size, can leave it in the shop and run a hose out for outdoor work. Dirt floor in the shop I'm in now so won't be rolling even a 40cf around too much and 80cf is more economical to fill. That's my reasoning on the 80 anyway.

So straight argon will give better looking welds on thinner stuff? I'll check the price on it. Shouldn't be much different.
Old 07-14-16, 12:27 AM   #30
STM
Helper EcoRenovator

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinballlooking View Post
Check often good deals don’t last long. I paid $10-$15 for one and $50 for another one a few months before that. You just never know what will pop up. The $50 one looked new but my place I get gas exchanges them anyway so it did not really mater.

Be careful one guy was selling them for really cheap but when I got there they said property of coke. luckily one did not say that. Than won’t work no one will fill a cylinder like that and right fully so. ( He cleans out foreclosed property)

Around here most 80’s are rented so I stayed away from those. But that is not the same everywhere.
Will keep an eye out every day till I have the cash freed up to order from Cyberweld if not. Just wanted to say I'm on page 42 of your aquaponics thread and that looks great!