EcoRenovator  

Go Back   EcoRenovator > Improvements > Geothermal & Heat Pumps
Advanced Search

Blog 60+ Home Energy Saving Tips Recent Posts

Old 11-04-14, 09:21 PM   #1
pinballlooking
Super Moderator

Default Best way to get some heat to a small office now bedroom.

I have a small office that is about 8’x9’. My son’s room is on the other side. I installed a 9,000 BTU inverter mini split in my son’s room a couple months ago and it is working great.

My farther in-law is now staying with us and his bed room is in the small office. We are only heating with mini splits now so the office does not get any heat. He does not like to sleep with the door open so no heat gets in that way.

I was considering installing a celling square vent in both rooms then putting in a 4” vent fan making it thermostat controlled to get some heat in that room.
I was thinking about using flexible vent hose in the attic to keep the noise down.

He does like it cooler than my son but that is good.
Has anyone done anything like this? Any suggestions?

I just saw a post where someone use something like this to control the fan.
WIN100 5- & 2- Day Programmable
1 Heat / 1 Cool Outlet Thermostat
http://www.luxproducts.com/thermostats/win100.php

As I research more I see the pellet heating guys using this. with the above Thermostat.
http://www.amazon.com/Broan-512-6-In...V48TE1SFP2B28K
with a Variable speed controller
http://www.amazon.com/NuTone-57W-Var...bxgy_hi_text_y

Last edited by pinballlooking; 11-04-14 at 10:14 PM..
pinballlooking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-14, 12:10 AM   #2
SDMCF
Apprentice EcoRenovator

I did something similar so that when I use the wood-burning stove in the kitchen I can move some of the heat to my office. There is a small hallway between the kitchen and office so I had to move heat about 5 feet. I installed a ceiling level duct between the rooms and used a 4" extractor fan to move the hot air. The result was less than impressive. It did make a difference but didn't move as much heat as I hoped. If I were doing it again I would definitely use a larger fan.
SDMCF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-14, 09:44 AM   #3
ecomodded
Supreme EcoRenovator

How about split the mini split one more time. install one more indoor unit off the same outdoor unit. That would make your father inlaw feel special , if not equal to your son with his fancy new heat pump , haha.
ecomodded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-14, 10:38 AM   #4
pinballlooking
Super Moderator

He does not like it very warm in his room. His room is too small for another MS head. My sons MS can easily handle both rooms. His Mini Split is super-efficient 27 seer I am not going to mess with that.
Old 11-05-14, 10:46 AM   #5
jeff5may
Supreme EcoRenovator

Send a message via Yahoo to jeff5may

How about an electric blanket?
jeff5may is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jeff5may For This Useful Post:
Daox (11-05-14)
Old 11-05-14, 02:23 PM   #6
MN Renovator
Less usage=Cheaper bills

Ditto. I love my mattress pad heater. I've come home with the temperature at my away setback of 40f, fired up my mattress pad heater, checked my emails, jumped in bed, and slept warm. I'd imagine it isn't anywhere near as cold as that in the office if the rest of the house is heated. I think a heated blanket or mattress pad heater is perfect. It would use less energy than a mini-split and is appropriate if he only keeps the door shut when sleeping and otherwise doesn't have complaints about the temperature.

On the other hand, space heaters are evil and everyone who I ever know who has had one(tenants or anyone who doesn't pay full utilities) always cranks it way beyond the temperature of the rest of the building and would probably wildly exceed the usage of the mini-splits in the rest of the house and unfortunately probably reduce the amount of heat needed in those rooms as the space heater room would supply heat to the mini-split spaces. ...ask me how I know - I kicked out a tenant after a winter of that crap, now the lease agreement specifically forbids things like space heaters, shower head, or light bulb replacements.
MN Renovator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-14, 02:29 PM   #7
pinballlooking
Super Moderator

I like the mattress pad heater idea. I don’t even have to cut a hole in the wall to try it out. I have him opening the door in the day time to let heat in the room.

Is there a brand that you recommend or are they all similar.

Last edited by pinballlooking; 11-23-15 at 01:29 PM..
Old 11-05-14, 02:34 PM   #8
MN Renovator
Less usage=Cheaper bills

They are all fairly similar. It seems most of them have a 10 hour shutoff on them. If I go forever without sleep(24+ hours awake) and fall asleep, I've sometimes woken up after it has shut off. It wasn't alarming or anything to wake up with it off but I do think that after it was off and I cooled off a bit that I woke up earlier than I otherwise would have.

If I found one that didn't have this shutoff, I'd probably replace mine. ..otherwise I think they are all more or less the same.
MN Renovator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-14, 12:15 PM   #9
pinballlooking
Super Moderator

I talked to him and he is keeping his door open in the day time now. This really helps. He has two comforters and he said he is good for now. If he needs more heat I will get him a heated mattress pad.
Thanks for the suggestions this is much better than cutting a hole in my wall.

Last edited by pinballlooking; 11-10-14 at 03:16 PM..
Old 11-19-14, 09:44 AM   #10
pinballlooking
Super Moderator

He went to my sister in- laws house for a couple weeks and it has been cold. I ordered the low voltage mattress pad heater today.
He is coming back Monday so I will have it in his room ready to go. I think this will make a big difference. I will feel better knowing he is not too cold in there.