EcoRenovator  

Go Back   EcoRenovator > Improvements > Solar Power
Advanced Search

Blog 60+ Home Energy Saving Tips Recent Posts Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-23-18, 04:02 PM   #11
pinballlooking
Super Moderator

Here is the error you get when they are imbalanced.
The microinverters will shutdown it to far out of balance and start backup when it is stable again.

"AC Voltage Out Of Range"
The microinverter reports that the AC voltage coming from the utility is either too low or too high as specified by applicable regional standards.

When the microinverter detects a voltage out of range condition, it must remain offline until the utility has been within acceptable limits a short period of time (several minutes, varies by region). If during that time the utility again exceeds or falls short of acceptable limits, the five-minute timer must restart and the microinverter may not begin producing power for an additional short period following the last out-of-bounds condition.

I am the last house on the power line and we had to get a more open grid profile so we could keep producing power with small changes.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Solar Install 12.5 Kwh-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Mini Split installs -

EV Chevy Volt -
pinballlooking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-18, 04:06 PM   #12
bennelson
Home-Wrecker

That's not "imbalanced" though, that's just voltage too high or too low.

Imbalance refers to the current flowing through the Hot 1 to Neutral being substantially different than Hot 2 to Neutral. But when you are generating 240V power, there is no imbalance, as the neutral isn't used as a current path.

bennelson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-18, 05:26 PM   #13
Elcam84
Apprentice EcoRenovator

I would still prefer to measure both hots cause I'm anal and don't trust the equipment to put out the same amps on both ... Also would be a nice indicator if there was an issue with the inverter. Unlikely but I like to see lots of info.
Have had too many pieces of equipment have odd issues that I check everything. Like the venthoods that come with the control panel miswired... VFDs are pricey and not fun to call the manufacturer and have them replace cause it was wrong... Also had bad commercial surge suppressors out of the box for the POS systems..
I have a trust issue with manufacturers and their products...
Elcam84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-18, 05:29 PM   #14
bennelson
Home-Wrecker

But...but...but... My inverters are 240V. It's only TWO wires that current travels over. If current is flowing through the one the EXACT SAME current is flowing through the other. It's how the circuit is completed!

Would you measure current through a hot AND a neutral on a 120V circuit?

bennelson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-18, 07:07 PM   #15
pinballlooking
Super Moderator

It was a “imbalanced” I called support and they looked it at their side and told me it was a “imbalanced” it was just one leg that was varying not the other leg. The other leg was solid.

They also said it was usually not the power company issue. It was affecting my whole array.
I dug up the cable not to far from my barn and the one hot leg was nicked from a trencher. I cut out the bad spot and spliced it. I heat heat shrinked it and put in in a plastic conduit box filled with silicon. It is working fin now.

Solar Install 12.5 Kwh-

Mini Split installs -

EV Chevy Volt -
pinballlooking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-18, 07:15 AM   #16
Elcam84
Apprentice EcoRenovator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bennelson View Post
But...but...but... My inverters are 240V. It's only TWO wires that current travels over. If current is flowing through the one the EXACT SAME current is flowing through the other. It's how the circuit is completed!

Would you measure current through a hot AND a neutral on a 120V circuit?
That's assuming the inverters are doing what they are supposed to. All depends on how the inverter works. It can output 220 or it can also act as two 110 inverters in one box. Without going over the inverter internals to see how it really works and able to measure the actual output it's like how many licks does it take to get to the center of a tootsie pop.

I like the meter and its a great quick indicator but its just a general indicator and there will always be that thought in the back of my mind as i know its not measuring everything. I;m looking at readings i can use to look for possible failures more so than monitoring.

And yes I do often check the amps on a neutral as often in commercial you find overloaded neutrals from someone just grabbing a hot in a box and using the first neutral in the j box they see.
Elcam84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-18, 08:07 AM   #17
BillG
Lurking Renovator

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinballlooking View Post
It was a “imbalanced” I called support and they looked it at their side and told me it was a “imbalanced” it was just one leg that was varying not the other leg. The other leg was solid.
--snip--
I dug up the cable not to far from my barn and the one hot leg was nicked from a trencher.
Actually, the correct term for this is "ground fault." I agree with Ben that it is not possible to have an imbalance between the two legs of the same circuit. A mechanical analogy would be measuring the supply and return flow from a pump. They had better be the same, unless you have a leak ("ground fault") between the pump and the measuring point.

BillG is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
instrumentation, meter, photovoltaic, solar