Go Back   EcoRenovator > Improvements > Geothermal & Heat Pumps
Advanced Search

Blog 60+ Home Energy Saving Tips Recent Posts

Old 11-01-15, 02:37 PM   #1
dmenheere
Lurking Renovator

Default Acadia Hallowell LTHP

Hi all, first post so don't crucify me.

This is my third time trying to post this.

I bought 2 4-ton Acadia Hallowell hp for the bargain price of $200 cdn ... roughly about $30 US ;-) If nothing else I can probably use some of the parts to build something or get me money back in scrap ... 500 lb/each

They had lots of problems but hopefully I can get one running as soon as apply some fixes. There is a website that explains some of the changes.

I would like to switch it from R410 to R290 just because it's easier for me to mess with and I think the lower pressures using propane will help with the starting issues.

My question is does all the oil have to be changed ... lines + both the compressors? I'm assuming it does but just hoping for clarification.

thanks,

Dave Menheere

dmenheere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-15, 05:09 PM   #2
mejunkhound
Apprentice EcoRenovator

Someone may correct me but leaving the POE oil in and using R290 is OK, other way around is not.

You will probably need to add oil as some will be lost in the exchange.

Since you have 2, why not reuse the 410 in one unit, as you will have spare 410 then in your recovery tank (btw easy to make a 'free' recovery system with any old 120V compressor and used propane tank)
Only use a 120 V as a vacuum or recovery pump as a 240 V hermetic compressor will arc it over inside.
mejunkhound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-15, 07:26 PM   #3
jeff5may
Supreme EcoRenovator

Send a message via Yahoo to jeff5may

That's a really good bargain! The outdoor units are very efficient at doing their jobs. The units were an awesome proof of concept and many still operate well. The units have a bad rap in the industry because of a few reasons. Most all were overworked from being installed in frigid locations and run flat out all season long until something broke. Others developed strange issues due to bad contactors, control wiring and electronic failures. For a cutting edge product, this is fairly normal. Hallowell did not beta-test the systems well. When problems started to happen, the OEM sources did not honor the warranty work, and Hallowell could not afford to cover it all. The little problems coupled with the high field labor bills put the company in the red, and they closed up shop. That's my take on the story anyway.

I wish I could get my hands on just one of the units. It would make an awesome frame to build a monster out of. Since they are built for R410, they should be able to handle whatever you throw at them as far as temperatures and pressures. Using R290, you would not need to change the oil. Just remember, at propane pressures an R410 unit is not going to have as much capacity. Prepare to lose 1/3 of your 4 tons if you use the same compressor.

A huge fraction of these units that failed all died in the same manner: burnt out main compressor due to electrocution by malfunctioning start/run contactor. Once the main compressor had torched, the magic smoke killed the booster compressor in short order. A few owners and techs have replaced the suspect contactor/relay assembly with a competing device made for the same compressor with positive results. If the compressors both start and run like they should, consider yourself blessed.

Last edited by jeff5may; 11-01-15 at 09:41 PM..
jeff5may is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-15, 09:33 PM   #4
jeff5may
Supreme EcoRenovator

Send a message via Yahoo to jeff5may

Hallowell International: How Acadia Works

Even if both compressors have failed, due to the defective starting circuit, the rest of the hardware in the chassis is still worth breathing life into. An inverter or 3-phase compressor would definitely be worth a try.
jeff5may is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-15, 06:26 AM   #5
dmenheere
Lurking Renovator

I thought it was a great deal because even with all the problems, it was designed for low temp operation and has features not found on other HP.

Good news about the oil. The system was open on both units so all the R410 is gone.

There is a shop in Mississauga, Ontario, Canada that has a new in box unit that they have advertised for $3500 CDN complete with air handler and everything. I thought about offering them $2000 since I don't think they'll get many offers ... it's listed in "www dot kijiji dot ca". do a search under Hallowell if your interested. Post count still too low ;-)

thanks for the help!

Dave

dmenheere is offline   Reply With Quote