EcoRenovator  

Go Back   EcoRenovator > Off Topic > The Billiards Room
Advanced Search

Blog 60+ Home Energy Saving Tips Recent Posts

Old 10-20-10, 09:59 AM   #1
Stormin Norman
Stormin Norman

Default Building Codes and Green Tech

I subscribe to both the NFPA and NECPlus code sites, and have found them starting to close the doors on DIYers, recommending commercial certified products, even down to Rain Harvesting equipment. Most of the new regulations will be in the 2011 version of the NEC codes.

National Fire Prevention Association - nfpa - dot -org

And the:
National Electrical Code assocation - necplus - dot - org
(less than 5 posts, can't post URLS yet )

BUT!!! So far, they haven't attempted to fiddle with the mechanical energy in wind-power. I'm still playing with calculations and layouts, but I figure that I can take my fridge, freezer, AC, and my garage compressor off the grid, by running a few roof-top whirlygigs to run small compressors into a compressed air tank.

AND! Low voltage solar panels aren't in there either, so far, which means door bells, and all those appliances with LED/LCD displays and Instant-On circuits could be shifted off the grid as well.

Its worth subscribing to those, because there are some good tips and often some idea of what the future holds in building construction regs.

Old 10-20-10, 10:38 AM   #2
strider3700
Master EcoRenovator

I've been getting ready to start a solar hotwater setup following the design from builditsolar and I'm getting a bit worried about dealing with the building inspector over it. One of the builds posted on the site is from BC and their they were told to have the plumbing work inside done by a certified plumber.

I can understand the need for them when working on the water system to have a permit, install a scald protector and have check valves but why I'm not qualified to make this change on my own house is stupid. If I totally screw it up thats what the inspector is for.
strider3700 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-10, 12:07 PM   #3
Stormin Norman
Stormin Norman

Just don't use plastic pipe FROM the heater, or the solar unit. You might also check the grade of solder that you use to make sure it can handle the solar heated vapour/steam. In summer, it can get way over 180C. I might connect a solar heater (tempered glass on both sides), but at 80C, the on-demands only have to make up 45 more degrees (F).

We had an old copper hotwater tank before, running on a 1200 watt heater, although it was made for 2-1500 watt elements, and it cost us about $6.00 per month for hotwater at 125F. The dishwasher and washer are both european Bosch units with their own water heat augmenters, so its only for showers/baths and general cleaning water.

With all the budget cuts in City Halls across Canada, I'll bet they don't have enough inspectors to go around anyway. They don't here. Building permits take over a month to get here, and inspectors show up sometimes 6 months after, unless you're a builder.
Old 10-20-10, 12:12 PM   #4
strider3700
Master EcoRenovator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormin Norman View Post
With all the budget cuts in City Halls across Canada, I'll bet they don't have enough inspectors to go around anyway. They don't here. Building permits take over a month to get here, and inspectors show up sometimes 6 months after, unless you're a builder.
No budget cuts here. They just keep cranking the property tax to make up for the shortfall. 5% is the current estimate for next years increase and they "are working hard" to prevent it from getting any higher then that. I'd love to see some real budget cuts and wasteful projects cancelled. Right now the city is the largest employer in town...

strider3700 is offline   Reply With Quote