EcoRenovator  

Go Back   EcoRenovator > Improvements > Conservation
Advanced Search

Blog 60+ Home Energy Saving Tips Recent Posts Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-17-14, 07:15 PM   #1
pinballlooking
Super Moderator

Default I bought a new energy star dishwasher.

My 14 year old whirlpool dishwasher finally died. Over its live time I have replaced the motor, the food chopper, the front panel, the control board, the thermal fuse 2X.

I have another one almost the same model that has run for 27 years and I never replaced anything on it.

Will I am not fixing this one again. We bought a new one. I have been replacing things with energy star items as the things die.

So my new one yearly cost is est. $25 this is lots better than my old one. This one is a water miser and supper quite. It shows a red LED on the floor so you know it is running.

This one also does not have a heated dry it uses condensation drying it just heats up the water at the end of the cycle and lets it dry from there.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DishWasher.jpg
Views:	529
Size:	46.4 KB
ID:	4566  

Last edited by pinballlooking; 08-17-14 at 11:31 PM..
pinballlooking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-14, 08:12 AM   #2
gasstingy
Journeyman EcoRenovator

That was how we replaced nearly all of our appliances. When they died, we bought new best-we-could-afford Energy Star replacements. Best was determined by two criteria. 1. Must be a name brand I've heard of with a good reputation, and 2. The Energy Usage number on the tag. The exception was our 8 year old refrigerator. Got tired of the ice flap in the door sticking open, so away it went and a much more efficient Energy Star in it's place. This one does not have ice/water in the door, so no flap to stick open.
gasstingy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-14, 08:20 AM   #3
Daox
Administrator

What model did you get and why that one?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
&
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Daox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-14, 10:49 AM   #4
pinballlooking
Super Moderator

We don’t change out appliances unless they are no longer dependable or repairable by me.
So it needed to be very dependable with good reviews. My sister has one and loves it.
We went with the Bosch 500 series Model: SHP65T52UC

Bosch 500 Series 24" Tall Tub BuiltIn Dishwasher White SHP65T52UC - Best Buy

It needed to clean items without cleaning them before putting them in the dishwasher.

I wanted it to use less energy and water.

We wanted a stainless steel tub. The white plastic starts looking bad after a few years.

I wanted the third rack on the top for silverware this adds 30% more space.

We wanted a quieter one because it is very close to the great room.
This one is only 44db.

We did not want the buttons on the front it and it needed auto sensing with high temp wash.
I wanted it to be well made.

The Bosch 500 and the 800 series could meet this criteria. We looked at them and the 800 series was more money and the only extra option we wanted was a fold down bottom rack its other options we did not care about. The 500 series have fixed bottom rack and all the other options we wanted so we went with it.

The one thing I read in the reviews was plastic did not dry as well because it does condensation drying and not heated drying cycle. We don’t care about that. Drying plastic is no big deal and we would rather save the energy anyway.

One more thing is how this saves so much energy and water is it takes longer than the old dishwashers.
Before it took say 90 min this one takes 2-3 hours. It does have a short run option but we will not use that much if ever.

We bought it from hhgregg it was on sale and they matched the veterans 10% discount that Lowes does. They had $50 gift card rebate hey everything helps. They got it the next day so we did not have to be without one for very long.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSC02266.JPG
Views:	1105
Size:	39.3 KB
ID:	4571  

Last edited by pinballlooking; 08-22-14 at 01:31 AM..
The Following User Says Thank You to pinballlooking For This Useful Post:
Daox (08-18-14)
Old 08-21-14, 10:43 AM   #5
pinballlooking
Super Moderator

I wanted to add a couple things while this is fresh.
We only use the top third rack for silverware. We took the basket out off the bottom rack and set it aside. The top rack works great everything comes clean and there is always more room than we need. When we load the third rack we keep spoons forks knives together. So unloading is so fast a handful forks … 4-5 handfuls and you are done.
The dishwasher holds more than our other one we are able to run it once every couple days instead almost every day so we are running it about ½ as much.

It uses about ¼ less detergent and everything still comes clean.
When the bottom rack is full of dishes you need to be carful the rack does not come completely out of the dishwasher. They should have added a stop. It does not always try to do this only once so far.

But this would be an easy fix. They do not show the time remaining unless you open the door. My display is mostly hidden when it is running because it is on the top but I would still like to see the remaining time. The other models that have the display on the front show remaining time.

They do have a model that shows the remaining time on the floor but it comes with so many other options that I don’t need I did not think it was worth it. it runs over night most of the time anyway and nobody would ever see it.

We do not rinse dishes just scrape off food except red sauce. We do rinse red sauce so it does not stain stuff. This thing cleans very well. We run high temp load every time to kill germs. We have always done this it helps keep people for getting sick as much in the winter.

We have not had one dish that has not come clean yet. This is great as we stuff it every load.
Our old one would have a couple dishes that needed touch up after it was done but not this so far.

Last edited by pinballlooking; 08-21-14 at 10:47 AM..
stevehull (08-21-14)
Old 08-22-14, 01:21 AM   #6
gtojohn
Journeyman EcoRenovator

Nice review, we'll be upgrading with our kitchen remodel. My current white analog whirlpool won't match and is way too loud. The heated dry is the biggest power draw on these. I try to keep it off, but my wife loves it for some reason.
gtojohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-14, 10:36 AM   #7
pinballlooking
Super Moderator

Here is what it looks like running. It puts a red led light on the floor.
It was funny in some reviews I saw people complaining about the red led light saying they did not need it and did not want the added cost in the product for it. All 5 to 10 cents extra cost.
most people liked the led light I like it I think it is a good feature and worth the extra dime in added cost.

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20140822_110134.jpg
Views:	1339
Size:	61.5 KB
ID:	4580  
Old 01-15-15, 07:46 PM   #8
pinballlooking
Super Moderator

I have had this for a little while now so I wanted to add a couple comments.

We had company for thanksgiving 9 people total for dinner and everything but pans went into the dishwasher. We still did not have to run it for two more days this thing holds a lot of dishes.

We do not run it as many times a week because it holds so many dishes.
We really are saving dish detergent using about ¼ what the other one used and it cleans better than any dishwasher we have ever had.

We love the third rack that takes the silverware. I would never go back to the other way. It all comes cleaner and you can put a ton of silverware in that rack.

We run high temp load every time to kill germs. We have always done this it helps keep people for getting sick as much in the winter.

It just heats the water to dry the dishes this works good except plastics we need to dry some of them off when you put them away small price to pay to not have a heated dry.

I just wanted to update this now that it is not new anymore.
Daox (01-16-15)
Old 01-16-15, 07:34 AM   #9
Daox
Administrator

Thanks for the update. Its always very nice to get follow up notes on an initial review. I know I've loved things to begin with, but after living with them for a few months you quickly find their faults.

&
Daox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-15, 03:19 PM   #10
bennelson
Home-Wrecker

We have Bosch that's a little more on the entry level side and have been very happy with it.

We had an assortment of relatives over for Christmas, and we ran the dishwasher while people were still there. Really couldn't notice it at all. My kitchen and living-room are just one big room, so one thing we wanted was a quiet dishwasher. It's great.

bennelson is offline   Reply With Quote