Advanced Search

Blog 60+ Home Energy Saving Tips Recent Posts

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 12-20-19, 09:29 PM   #18
Weather Spotter
I mod my world

Quote:
Originally Posted by wlbryce View Post
Weather Spotter; As far as new installs we have installed over 500 Kwh of Fortress batteries. The price point is extremely competitive and come in large formats.
I also like the Sol-ark. We have installed several. The onboard dual channel MPPT makes for a easy and clean install.
One important issue that needs to be identified. If using Lithium you must insure that the battery is NEVER removed from the Sol-Ark when the chargers are charging hard. If you do, it will blow up the chargers. Sol-Ark now has a warning to this problem (also is a issue for other 600V charge controllers not just Sol-Ark, ask how I know! LOL). So, if the BMS trips the battery offline for some problem when the charger is charging it can kill the onboard charger.

On my system I built a 40f super cap bank that will hold the charger power long enough for the Fets to shut off the charging.

Just a Lithium FYI, or a LA issue if you trip the breaker somehow.

Logan

instagram .com/wlbryce
I have not used the sol-arks yet, last year at this time when I installed my system they did not support ac coupling. Mid January they did and I kicked myself . I wonder if the issue of lithium battery’s you are talking about would apply to my xw+? Tech support was saying that they have built in capacitors on the dc side.... which was why the xw+ needed the battery monitor add on to properly read battery voltage.... the caps make a voltage lag or something....

What are fortress battery’s?
Weather Spotter is offline   Reply With Quote