EcoRenovator  

Go Back   EcoRenovator > Introductions
Advanced Search

Blog 60+ Home Energy Saving Tips Recent Posts Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-18-08, 02:04 AM   #1
Tree Hugger

Smile Hello everybody!

Well, I saw the thread to this site at EcoModder.com and thought I'd join up. I love working around my house, and on my cars, so these two sites seem to go hand-in-hand beautifully. I've learned a lot from all the guys at EM, and hope I can do the same here, and try to lend a hand whenever I can

I live in Wauconda, IL in case you're wondering. A small, quiet town 45mins NW of Chicago. I'm a full time student as of right now, and am also working. I'm engaged to a beautiful girl, and we're slowly planning for the big day (although we're in no rush).

I look forward to interacting with you all quite a bit on the forums, and hope I can be of some use around here

Old 09-18-08, 06:23 AM   #2
Daox
Administrator

Welcome to the site and congratulations on the engagement!

What kind of house related improvements are you most interested in?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
&
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Daox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-08, 10:15 AM   #3
SVOboy
Administrator

Hey there! Welcome to ecorenovator! What kind of place are you and the lucky lady currently living in?
SVOboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-08, 10:29 AM   #4
dentprone
Lurking Renovator

Welcome, embracer-of-dendritic-organisms. Good to have you here as well, and congrats on your engagement.
dentprone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-08, 12:40 AM   #5
Tree Hugger

Thanks for the welcome guys

We had an apartment together for a little over a year, but I had to move back in with my parents due to my father's health, and my mom having to quit her job to stay home with him. Everything has seemed to settle out now, and they're doing good on their own, but I'm waiting until we get married to get our own place again (house or town-house this time, though).

I'm very interested in many different aspects of being "greener" in my home. I'd be most interested in learning more on how to make my home efficient. I would rather spend money on making my house require less energy than to pay the gas or electric companies more. I'm a very minimalist by heart, and I hate excess and abundance. Also, I've already taken great strides to never buy anything new (other than food, and toiletries obviously ) but would like to learn more about being able to reuse salvaged, used, or at the very least recycled materials.

The one step I think is most important in "greening" your life is not having a "disposable life". Everything these days seems to be a one-time-use product, and people have generally lost all respect for their property, and for their belongings. Everything from paper-towels, to food containers, to "snack size", to disposable cameras, bottled water, anything else you can think of! I even saw a TV ad for individually packaged "Single Dose" cough syrup, and thought to myself how ridiculous this country is becoming. Are you suggesting that we as individuals are too ignorant to be able to measure a teaspoon accurately?? Are we so lazy we won't get off our a$$es to find a spoon to measure it in?? Are people out there so uninformed or clueless about germs and bacteria that they can't share a bottle of cough syrup with others in their own family?? I get so annoyed when people look for the easiest/laziest options out there. But I think it's hillarious to watch people spend so much money on things that cost so much because the companies use wayyyyy too much packaging. I'm working very hard on cutting out things that are disposable in my life. From using towels in the kitchen and cleaning my car rather than paper towels, using an aluminum water bottle wherever I go, not buying anything in haste or splurging, buying used cars (and maintaining them with salvage yard parts), buying food/toiletries with a VERY minimum amount of packaging, and other methods whenever the choice presents itself.
(stepping down from the soap-box now I could rant all day long, believe me)