EcoRenovator  

Go Back   EcoRenovator > Improvements > Renovations & New Construction
Advanced Search

Blog 60+ Home Energy Saving Tips Recent Posts

Old 08-31-10, 04:07 PM   #1
Jerry In Maine
Lurking Renovator

Default Geyser HP Water Heater in Winter

Just installed a Geyser Heat Pump water heater in the basement - right next to the electric water heater that used to do the work.

About 25 feet away is an unused stairwell (that goes to the attic) where the vent pipe from my pellet stove (located on the other side of the wall) runs up to the roof. The stairwell is closed by a door at the bottom and a hatch were it goes into the attic. In winter this space stays about 85* from the heat radiating from the pellet vent pipe.

I'd like to install a flexible duct from this space to the Geyser so I might reclaim this heat for heating water.

Question: anyone think that the internal resistance from the ~25 feet of vent pipe might be too much for the Geyser to breath properly? The makers of the Geyser sell a fitting that connects to its cold air "exhaust" and allows you to use this cold air for cooling a living space. The manual doesn't mention a max length for such a pipe. I figure that if it can exhaust through a reasonable lenght it shouldn't hurt to use a similar length for its heat source.

thanks -

Jerry In Maine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-10, 06:08 AM   #2
Daox
Administrator

Hello and welcome to the site.

I would imagine as long as you keep the ducting large enough you'll be just fine. Do you have any pictures of the heater and the general area?

We've had a lot of discussion here about heat pump water heaters. We would love if you kept us up to date on how you like it.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
&
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Daox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-10, 12:49 PM   #3
Jerry In Maine
Lurking Renovator

might be best if i make up a duct from sheet-metal or ply to give less restricted flow...

something else i'm considering is attaching a few lengths of baseboard fin-tube to the vent pipe of my pellet stove (pipe is out of sight so no matter if its ugly). then plumbing w/ pex to a small radiator placed in front of the heat pumps air intake. a circ pump would push the water around the loop. if all works well the fin-tube will pick up heat from the pellet pipe and radiate it to warm the air entering the heat pump. i think i can pick up more heat that would otherwise be lost this way

Jerry In Maine is offline   Reply With Quote