Go Back   EcoRenovator > Improvements > Appliances & Gadgets
Advanced Search

Blog 60+ Home Energy Saving Tips Recent Posts

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 04-15-09, 09:03 PM   #1
basjoos
Helper EcoRenovator

Default Solar powered clothes dryer

I use my greenhouse as a clothes dryer during the frost free season when I don't keep any plants in it (when the plants are installed, they raise the humidity too high to dry clothes). I only use the greenhouse to overwinter plants and let it bake during the summer to kill off any plant pests. The elevated temps inside the greenhouse on sunny summer days help to lower the humidity, speeding up the drying process, which can be slow with our humid summer weather. The greenhouse also keeps the clothes dry if it rains while they are drying and they are out of sight of any prying eyes that might be offended by a line of underwear flapping in the breeze.

A smaller, purpose-built, version of my greenhouse could be an option for those who can't string up a clothes line outside and/or have too many rainshowers to leave their clothes out drying all day unattended. It would just need a glazed front and top, a black back wall and floor, clothes lines strung inside, and vents high and low to allow a constant flow of sun-heated air to pass through the hanging clothes. With scrounged materials, you could build one for less than the cost of buying a clothes dryer and, beyond maintenance, it would have no operating expenses.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by basjoos; 04-15-09 at 09:05 PM..
basjoos is offline   Reply With Quote