EcoRenovator  

Go Back   EcoRenovator > Improvements > Conservation
Advanced Search

Blog 60+ Home Energy Saving Tips Recent Posts Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-03-12, 12:56 PM   #1
Daox
Administrator

Default modern vs old wall wart (aka cell phone, ipod, etc. chargers)

This past week I took some time to do some testing with the newfangled wall warts that come with all our modern gizmos (cell phones, tablets, i-pods, etc.) to charge them up. I checked the house and saw that I typically have 5 of these things plugged in 24/7/365. Now, I know with old brick type wall warts, those would be pulling at least a few watts constantly and acting as constant small heaters (you can feel that they're warm). However, I've been told that these new 'switching type' wall warts are much better on power.

So, I decided to test how much better these new devices were. I grabbed all 5 of the wall warts that I have plugged in all the time and plugged them into a power strip. I then plugged that power strip into my kill a watt and plugged that into the wall. With the old type wall warts I'd expect to see 10-20W being pulled. However, to my pleasant surprised my kill a watt registered absolutely nothing, 0W. That is all 5 of them running together. In the past, I had been a stickler about unplugging these things, but thanks to the wonders of new technology this is no longer needed.

Now, I actually lied, I do have a 6th wall wart out in the garage powering my dog's invisible fence. I believe I have yet to test that out to see what king of power it is using. However, I believe I should be able to convert that over to a switching type power supply due to the overabundance of extra wall warts that I do have laying about the house from old devices I no longer use. I'll make sure to post back with the findings there.

Anyway, how do you know if your power supply is a new or old type? Well, really the most simple way to check it out is to just touch the thing. If its warm, its the old type that wastes energy. If its the new type it won't be warm. The new type also tend to be smaller where as the old type are very square/rectangular in shape.

New type:

Old type:

I'll probably be writing a blog post on this in the near future. If you guys think I missed anything or should add some additional info I'm all ears.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	phonecharger1.jpg
Views:	7873
Size:	40.7 KB
ID:	2398   Click image for larger version

Name:	phonecharger2.gif
Views:	11997
Size:	6.6 KB
ID:	2399  

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
&
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Daox; 07-03-12 at 01:03 PM..
Daox is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Daox For This Useful Post:
Ryland (07-05-12)
Old 07-03-12, 01:27 PM   #2
strider3700
Master EcoRenovator

I noticed the new ones are really good a few years ago, what I haven't been able to figure out is if there is a limit to the wattage on the new ones. I've only tested things like you did, cell phone, ipod,.. all very low wattage devices.
strider3700 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-12, 02:03 PM   #3
Piwoslaw
Super Moderator

I'd like to see how efficient they are at actually charging something. How about a test: Charge the same device with an old and a new wall wart, record watt-hours consumed in both cases. You might need to do a few (5-15 with each) tries and average them, since each time the batteries may be discharged to a different level.
Old 07-03-12, 02:19 PM   #4
Daox
Administrator

That would be interesting. I might be able to do something like that... I should be able to measure current draw with a multi-meter and just plug say a light into an old type, then into the new type.

&
Old 07-03-12, 02:44 PM   #5
MN Renovator
Less usage=Cheaper bills

Regarding efficiency while powering a load, it depends on the unit, some have an 'Efficiency level' with a roman numeral after it which rates what the efficiency is at under load.

Looking at some power supply spreadsheets on the Meanwell site, it looks like high 80's and into the low 90's is probably fairly normal efficiencies to expect. Some power gets lost in the capacitors, some to switching losses, etc on the way to DC.

Not sure how that compares to old linear power supplies, I just looked around my house at all the power supplies I use and can't find anything that's not a switch-mode supply.
MN Renovator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-12, 01:02 PM   #6
MaxHedrm
Lurking Renovator

Uh, why would you waste the money on a switching power supply for something like your dog fence (or an alarm system, or clock) that is always on? A higher efficiency one, perhaps, but the switching would buy you nothing.
MaxHedrm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-12, 02:14 PM   #7
Daox
Administrator

Who said anything about wasting money?

Quote:
However, I believe I should be able to convert that over to a switching type power supply due to the overabundance of extra wall warts that I do have laying about the house from old devices I no longer use.
I would disagree that switching to a new power supply will save me nothing, especially based on what MN Renovator has posted.

&
Old 07-04-12, 02:39 PM   #8
MaxHedrm
Lurking Renovator

Well, true, and I was speaking in general, not just for your fence, but for people that would go out & replace everything. It seems that unless it's a 20 year old power supply your gains will be minimal if at all. And if it's a 20 year old power supply, I would be amazed it still worked anyway. :-D
MaxHedrm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-12, 03:37 PM   #9
Clev
Wannabe greenie

Depends on the power supply. I had an old set of Boston Acoustics computer speakers with a massive "old" power supply. It drew 40W continuously, whether it was plugged into speakers or not.

In that case, I had other sets of computer speakers laying around, so I just gave those away, but I could see checking online to see if I could replace that with a more efficient switchmode.
Clev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-12, 01:47 AM   #10
Ryland
Master EcoRenovator

I did the same test a few years back only I did it with my Fluke multi meter set to amps and found it drew a fraction of an amp, figured leaving it plugged in would cost me just under 2 cents per year... yep.

As far as losses when they are doing work like charging, I've heard that they can be as good as 98% efficient and as low as 92%, mine don't tend to even feel warm after they have been charging something for a while.

Ryland is offline   Reply With Quote