EcoRenovator  

Go Back   EcoRenovator > Improvements > Wind Power
Advanced Search

Blog 60+ Home Energy Saving Tips Recent Posts Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-12-13, 08:58 AM   #11
Daox
Administrator

Did you ever try removing a few blades?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
&
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Daox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-13, 01:15 PM   #12
nexsuperne
Helper EcoRenovator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daox View Post
Did you ever try removing a few blades?
I did take 5 of the 10 blades off, but the start up was much worse (higher mph winds), the overall power for a given wind speed was lower. I understand the logic from a previous post the suggestion of removing blades to help with top end power, but at the moment, from the 40 mph winds I have seen, it just keeps making more watts. I think that with this design, and also my total power requirement, the extra blades will help to add a self regulating feature, as when the wind speed is high enough to make too much power, the previous blade will steal the available from the next and stop an over speed situation occurring. I only need to make an average of 200 watts an hour, whether through wind or solar, to run the LED lights, wood burner circulator pump (hot water and domestic heating), telecoms and computers.
nexsuperne is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to nexsuperne For This Useful Post:
Daox (07-15-13)
Old 07-15-13, 11:16 AM   #13
WyrTwister
Master EcoRenovator

What is the cost of the wind turbine ? The design goal is 800 wats ?

Thanks ,
Wyr
God bless
WyrTwister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-13, 12:22 PM   #14
nexsuperne
Helper EcoRenovator

The power output is 800 watts at 28mph and over a kw at 35mph. Theoretical safe continuous maximum power output on my turbine is 1.8kw, as it has a 30 amp fuse and is charging a 48 volt system, with a maximum system voltage of 60 volts. 1.8kw should happen about 50mph, but we haven't had any winter winds to try the theory yet.
It cost me £545, but I went to the supplier to collect and pay CASH.
Old 07-15-13, 12:36 PM   #15
WyrTwister
Master EcoRenovator

Quote:
Originally Posted by nexsuperne View Post
The power output is 800 watts at 28mph and over a kw at 35mph. Theoretical safe continuous maximum power output on my turbine is 1.8kw, as it has a 30 amp fuse and is charging a 48 volt system, with a maximum system voltage of 60 volts. 1.8kw should happen about 50mph, but we haven't had any winter winds to try the theory yet.
Please excuse my ignorance , but , that is around $ 1000 - 1500 ?

How much do you pay per kwh ?

I am guessing , in the UK , heating cost is more significant than air conditioning cost ?

BTW , I have been watching the British series " Wheeler Dealers " & enjoy it . :-)

God bless
Wyr
WyrTwister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-13, 12:53 PM   #16
nexsuperne
Helper EcoRenovator

Electricity is 12 pence a kw. Heating accounts for 44% of all energy bills but thats due to poorer insulation in the average UK home. At the moment it is 32 celsius here (which is scorching!), winter dropped to minus 10C. When you consider that Sweden only has a 27% heating cost, but a much colder environment, it shows how far behind the UK is... the average energy bill is now over 10% of a household income, and set to rise sharply when the coal fired power stations get closed forever in 2015. In dollars, your looking at $1000 for one of these, but then you can get a twin core pma from missouri or south west windpower? for less, as you dont have to pay import duty.
Old 07-18-16, 06:47 PM   #17
imgreen
Lurking Renovator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daox View Post
Do you have any pictures of the new turbine? Sounds like its working out quite well.
I would like to see some too.
imgreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-16, 06:49 PM   #18
imgreen
Lurking Renovator

Quote:
The more wind you get the more power is made. I think these small turbines can keep making power up to about 60 mph.
Old 07-18-16, 07:06 PM   #19
imgreen
Lurking Renovator

Default Great little wind turbine

Quote:
I have recently fitted one of these to replace my 48 volt 1kw Futurenergy turbine. Results so far are better than the FE unit, even though the swept area is smaller (60 inches vs 72 inches). I think this is down to a non-furling tail and less cog resistance on the generator. There are 10 clear hornet polycarbonate blades on this, which eliminate shadow flicker completely. To stop them becoming a giant magnifying glass, a mist coat of grey primer spray paint was applied to the back of the blades. The SC60 has put out over a kilowatt in a 35mph wind, and because the turbine starts making power at just 60rpm, it makes some power in the 10mph winds. The SC60 is charging my 48 volt system and was chosen with the 10 blade hub as most of the time the wind is in the low speed 15-45mph range. It has been known to hit 75mph, but only in bad weather. I have a 'watts up' meter connected to it as a crude data logger. I will go down the usb pc monitoring route, as I already have the pc tracking all power use from the grid.
The manufacturer has had his turbine flying in 100mph+ winds with no problems. These are designed to spin the blades at 2000rpm, but the generator will run at 18,000 rpm!
I also have 6 of these units and they make all the power our cabin ever needs. I have 24 of the L-16 Trogen battery / bank and those ghost wind turbines never let me down yet. They are always full and the dump load makes plenty of hot water.

I bought them at Wind turbine power generator and solar energy grid ties and they sell for real cheap like $299.00
Great investment!