EcoRenovator  

Go Back   EcoRenovator > Improvements > Conservation
Advanced Search

Blog 60+ Home Energy Saving Tips Recent Posts

Old 12-14-11, 07:33 PM   #11
doonboggle
Lurking Renovator

Well ... not knowing that much about this, all I can add is our total billing last month, for water, sewage and "BASE" (???) went from ...
57.12 to 131.55. And we are a retired couple in our 70's ... with a small dog ... and a parakeet....

Water 14.25 to 38.00
Sewage 16.50 to 44.00
and
"BASE" (??) 26.13 to 49.00

Billing of 10/29/11 to 11/28/11.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xringer View Post
Elgin uses these guys.?.

Seems pretty tame, if you only use a few thousand gallons a month..
You should be able to keep it under $2 a day if you conserve..

doonboggle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-11, 08:50 PM   #12
Xringer
Lex Parsimoniae

That might be true, but the topic here is saving a few gallons of water per day day,
because you want warm water and have to wait for it..

In this specific case, what you need to look at is, exactly how much extra will
be added to your bill each month, if you use an extra 100-200 gallons of water each month???

My guess, it's going to be less than an extra buck a month...

Do the math. How much will the instant-hot-water hardware+ monthly cost
be per month, stretched out over 5 years??

But, if you want the luxury of nice warm water instantly, go for it..
I'll be 66 next month, and I am starting to consider the luxury factor these days..
I don't think any male in my family has ever lived past 65!

It's been getting pretty cold here, and we've been running the heck our of our heaters.

Burning about 800 watts 24-7.. That adds up to $125 a month.
But, we are very comfortable at 71-72 deg F..

As my Grandpa once told me, 'Enjoy your life, and never become a farmer'..
Old 02-09-15, 08:12 AM   #13
DeLuke
Lurking Renovator

Default Great Energy & Water Saver

I've been installing the Hot Water Lobster Instant hot Water Valves for over 7-years...with great customer satisfaction.

Generally we found that in most homes if hot water is used at least twice daily, the Hot Water Lobster saves energy (less energy is used reheating already warm water). Instead of replacing the water (wasted down your drain-while waiting for hot water) with cold ground temperature water (which has to be heated from a low temperature), the Hot Water Lobster Instant Hot Water Valve allows already warm water to circulate back to your hot water tank for reheating-which not only saves the cost of the water, water treatment charges (sewer charges), it also takes less energy to bring the already warmer water (being re-circulated) up to temperature.

The more often hot water is used the more energy is saved (compared to not recirculating the water and heating ground temperature water instead). Pipe heat loss is minimal compared to the cost to heat 2-4 gallons of ground temperature water the 18-24 times a day (the average family uses hot water). And in cold months (when hot water is used 42% more often than in hot months) the heat loss is not wasted (any radiant heat provided by the hot pipes transfers to heat for your home). With or without a hot water recirculating system, the better insulated your pipes are the less energy is wasted.

If you will not require instant hot water for an extended period of time, you may turn the temperature control knob to a lower setting or completely off. This will prevent the water from re-circulating unless the valve temperature drops below the set temperature. Allowing the water to circulate at low temperatures (instead of turning it completely off) also aids in preventing pipes from freezing
DeLuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-15, 01:42 PM   #14
ecomodded
Supreme EcoRenovator

I see the lobster as costing electricity but saving water.

The pipe acts a heat exchanger , exchanging the hot water into cold water the lobster keeps the cycle going all day and all night , instead of a multiple times a day with normal use.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
ecomodded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-15, 02:04 PM   #15
DeLuke
Lurking Renovator

Default No Electricity Required

The Hot Water Lobster does not use electricity to operate and it saves energy heating hot water. To understand how it saves water heating energy (as well as water)...simply read below:

Generally we found that in most homes if hot water is used at least twice daily, the Hot Water Lobster saves energy (less energy is used reheating already warm water). Instead of replacing the water (wasted down your drain-while waiting for hot water) with "COLD" ground temperature water (which has to be heated from a low temperature), the Hot Water Lobster Instant Hot Water Valve allows already warm water to circulate back to your hot water tank for reheating-which not only saves the cost of the water, water treatment charges (sewer charges), it also takes less energy to bring the already warmer water (being re-circulated) up to temperature.

The more often hot water is used the more energy is saved (compared to not recirculating the water and heating "COLD" ground temperature water instead). Pipe heat loss is minimal compared to the cost to heat 2-4 gallons of COLD ground temperature water the 18-24 times a day (average family use of hot water). And in cold months (when hot water is used 42% more often than in hot months) the heat loss is not wasted (any radiant heat provided by the hot pipes transfers to heat tor your home). With or without a hot water recirculating system, the better insulated your pipes are the less energy is wasted.

If you will not require instant hot water for an extended period of time, you may turn the temperature control knob to a lower setting or completely off. This will prevent the water from re-circulating unless the valve temperature drops below the set temperature. Allowing the water to circulate at low temperatures (instead of turning it completely off) also aids in preventing pipes from freezing.
Old 02-09-15, 02:31 PM   #16
ecomodded
Supreme EcoRenovator

You will find you will have better luck convincing someone other then myself that it saves electricity.

I did not fall off the turnip truck yesterday , I gave you a sound reason why its a fail.

I think you will find you cannot convince someone of something they know to be false.

Having the tank cycle 'warm' water all day and night to reheat it and reheat it and reheat it will not save electricity over a few cold water bursts. Simple as that.

It should be marketed as a water saver not a electricity saver.

When you suggest to turn it off I agree then it will not cost electricity but it would become 100% useless.

It can never save electricity , only water I see it as a constant electrical drain and we know that can add up.

I see you have not produced any numbers / math to back your claim , only promises like all advertising.

With numbers its easy to see whats going on and its possible to check the accuracy of the equation.

No numbers ?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 02-09-15, 02:43 PM   #17
DeLuke
Lurking Renovator

"The proof is in the putting." Our customers swear to lower heating costs, lower water costs and love the convenience.
Old 02-09-15, 03:00 PM   #18
ecomodded
Supreme EcoRenovator

Yes well there were many happy customers who bought a pet rock so your point is moot

do they swear in 4 letter words ? lol , no need to reply

Old 02-09-15, 03:26 PM   #19
DeLuke
Lurking Renovator

You're way off subject ,,, but thanks for making my point anyway! People who bought "Pet Rocks" were happy with their purchase because they got exactly what they expected. Have a great day!
The Following User Says Thank You to DeLuke For This Useful Post:
ecomodded (02-09-15)
Old 02-09-15, 03:49 PM   #20
ecomodded
Supreme EcoRenovator

You can't win everyone's vote all of the time.

Thank you for making me smile , have a good day yourself.