EcoRenovator  

Go Back   EcoRenovator > Improvements > Conservation
Advanced Search

Blog 60+ Home Energy Saving Tips Recent Posts Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-09-15, 02:22 PM   #1
DaveC
Lurking Renovator

Default Door mail slots

I have a mail slot going through the wall next to my front door and there's a pretty strong draft coming from it that I want to fix. There is a metal flap on the outside of the wall and nothing on the inside. I can even see daylight in the corners of the slot.

I'm tempted to cover the mail slot and have a normal mail box outside, but before I do that, any tips on how to make these more efficient?

PS, just moved into a new home and glad I found this web site! I have a feeling I'll be here often

DaveC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-15, 08:26 PM   #2
where2
DIY Geek

Welcome to our hangout!

How much space do you have between the outer flap and the retaining ring on your mail slot? We'll need to determine which types of insulation might be feasible based on the allowable spacing.

Ideally, something like vinyl flap with a magnetic trim mounted on the inside may be your best bet. What I'm envisioning, I could build for less than $10 with a small scrap of vinyl from the remnant bin at my local fabric store, and some magnetic tape.
where2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-15, 09:12 PM   #3
DaveC
Lurking Renovator

Attached a few pictures for what it looks like and to show some of the gaps all around the flap.

The flap is spring loaded, so it does stay shut when closed. Think I just need to add some type of weather stripping around it and that would do the trick? Although a new magnetic flap like you described might be better, since the mailman did leave it all the way open once last week by accident.

Thanks for the feedback!!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	inside.jpg
Views:	2133
Size:	30.6 KB
ID:	4978   Click image for larger version

Name:	outside.jpg
Views:	1641
Size:	35.6 KB
ID:	4979   Click image for larger version

Name:	side.jpg
Views:	990
Size:	42.8 KB
ID:	4980  
DaveC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-15, 10:37 PM   #4
Quest
Apprentice EcoRenovator

here in Canada we are blessed with ideas and some companies would actually go far enough to make something out of ideas.

This one is called "draft dodger" mail slot, and Rona has it.

Mail Slot | RONA

http://dhdtvspecialtyhardwarestore.ca/welcome.html

I bought one and installed @ my parent's door (which, the original metal flap thingy just let drafts through like crazy)...and it worked beautifully.

Yeah, a bit costly but works (2 flaps: one on the outside; one on the inside. Must lift the outside alu flap in order to slip mail into the inside).

Quest
Quest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-15, 12:37 AM   #5
ecomodded
Supreme EcoRenovator

That Draft dodger has a annoying web site ,I gave up searching for a full picture of it.

But I like the premise.

My house had a mail slot next to the Door, I blocked it off and put up a traditional mail box on a post.
Although its near the street it holds most of my packages keeping them off the doorstep and out of sight.

I installed a mail slot for a neighbor she had me install one of the vision block ones 1 foot from the ground, to make it completely impossible to see anything.

Now the mailman has to bend way over to drop off mail .. lol .. poor guy

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
ecomodded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-15, 02:39 PM   #6
Zwerius
Helper EcoRenovator

I have a similar problem.
Overhere in Holland we have on the indoor side of the mailopening a kind of brush system, consisting of two brushes: one on the top and one in front of the lower half of the opening.
For examples look over here:https://www.google.nl/search?q=briev...A&ved=0CCIQsAQ

I even have added an extra flap on the inside (similar to the RONA mentioned before) and still a lot of air leaks in (despite of balanced ventilation with heat recovery).
I've made an infrared picture from the inside of the house: De brievenbus - geen energierekening meer: energieneutraal woonhuis fam. Kriegsman Ootmarsum

So, I'm still curious for possible improvements...
Zwerius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-15, 12:07 PM   #7
Daox
Administrator

Did you ever figure something out Dave?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
&
Daox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-15, 04:14 PM   #8
Fornax
Helper EcoRenovator

Just a thought:

With future (current?) upgrades to your home you will be airsealing and insulating it. You need ventilation for sure so we'll asume a ballanced HRV. Now -if- there is an imballance it should be underpressure (to prevent moistproblems in cold weather) so it makes sense to predict the points of infiltration.

If you know where the cold air will be allowed to enter your home you can take measures to prevent drought and discomfort.

/gr

Fornax is offline   Reply With Quote