EcoRenovator  

Go Back   EcoRenovator > Improvements > Solar Heating
Advanced Search

Blog 60+ Home Energy Saving Tips Recent Posts Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-03-12, 08:56 PM   #61
menaus2
Apprentice EcoRenovator

Location: Driftless Region, North America, Earth, Solar System, Orion Arm, Milky Way Galaxy,Virgo Supercluster

Starting to attach the collector inlet pipes to the pumps. The ability to use leftover Pex-AL-Pex for a lot of these runs made everything much easier due to make all kinds of turns and hold the shape

A nice shot of all the piping going into and out of the tank.

Right collector finished and starting on the left. I used some of the flashing material leftover from the absorber fins to make a little "roof" over the right collector. The slope should keep rain and snow off.

Absorber run on the left collector. Spacing the runs got a little tricky towards the bottom but turned out fine. Cheap $1 spray paint was used on everything, I figured even under stagnation conditions it would never see temps high enough to make it worth considering high-temp paint.

menaus2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-12, 09:04 PM   #62
menaus2
Apprentice EcoRenovator

Location: Driftless Region, North America, Earth, Solar System, Orion Arm, Milky Way Galaxy,Virgo Supercluster

Starting to look like something!

Have to have a little fun

The two trees in the backyard were starting to rot on the inside and big limbs hanging over the house, the neighbors and the garage. Not a safe situation, so they were removed. Oh and it just so happened to improve the solar exposure by like million percent

There, much better.
Old 11-03-12, 09:27 PM   #63
menaus2
Apprentice EcoRenovator

Beautiful.

Shot of the Tank completed.

Another angle. If you look closely you will notice the tank temperature sensors as well as the pump wiring. An additional note, the Grundfos pumps operate exceptionally well. What sound they make sound more like just rushing water. I have to get down near them to even know if they are running or not. Couldn't be more satisfied.

The control setup. Two SunEarth (Steca) independently control each panel. Each has 1 temp sensor in the collector and 2 sensors (top & bottom) in the tank. Sensor wire has a layer of shielding underneath the coating to protect it from EM interference. Got everything from AltEstore.com without a hitch.
Old 11-04-12, 07:33 AM   #64
Daox
Administrator

Wow, great updates!

How much area of collector do you have there? It seems like a pretty decent amount.

Is it fully operational now?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
&
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Daox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-12, 02:42 PM   #65
strider3700
Master EcoRenovator

Are you tracking how often the pumps are running and how much power the setup is using?
strider3700 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-12, 05:57 PM   #66
menaus2
Apprentice EcoRenovator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daox View Post
Wow, great updates!

How much area of collector do you have there? It seems like a pretty decent amount.

Is it fully operational now?
Yes, this battle station is now fully operational. The "Left" (west) Collector is 100sqft (10'x10'), "right" (East) collector is 80sqft (10'x8') so 180sqft total. the frame is built with 2x4s so its about 3.5" deep. As far as I've been able to tell it collects a good amount of heat.
Old 11-13-12, 06:57 PM   #67
Xringer
Lex Parsimoniae

180 sq feet! Nice! Congratulations! Don't cha love it when a plan comes together?

It would take about a dozen large south facing windows to get that amount of heat gain.
But at night, the window losses/leakage would really hurt!

Good Luck this winter!
Old 11-15-12, 05:54 PM   #68
menaus2
Apprentice EcoRenovator

Quote:
Originally Posted by strider3700 View Post
Are you tracking how often the pumps are running and how much power the setup is using?
Hey Strider,

I'm not currently living in close proximity of the unit, so I don't think I'd be able to stay on top of tracking everything. Networking it would be further than I'd be willing to go. I might put a kill-a-watt on it though and check the cumulative kwh used whenever I'm around there. Simple enough right?

Other than that I'd say it has a fair amount of collector area, and It'll be interesting to see what kind of dent it can put in the bills, especially with the lower angle of the sun relative to the horizon.

One thought however is that I perhaps should have used 3/4" pipe to carry the preheated water from the tank to the water heater instead of the 1". Even with the insulation, it would take less time for "fresh" hot water to reach one of the water heaters... For a 10ft or so run, I'm wondering what kind of impact it has...

Tags
drainback, water heater, water tank