EcoRenovator  

Go Back   EcoRenovator > Introductions
Advanced Search

Blog 60+ Home Energy Saving Tips Recent Posts

Old 09-09-10, 08:24 PM   #1
uncomplicatedi

Default Hope to learn something

I don't have a manifesto like Skyl4rk. I'm just hoping to get some tips and tricks for installing a geothermal water source heat pump. I really liked that one article and thats why I joined.
Biggest problem i've had so far is getting the software/information on what size (tons/btu) heat pump I need and how much water I will need or in a recirculating system what size how many lines I need. Any hints?

Old 09-10-10, 05:51 AM   #2
Daox
Administrator

Welcome to the site!

I know its long, but AC Hacker's thread on his heat pump probably contains all that info. That thing is literally jam packed with technical info on how to build your own heat pump system.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
&
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Daox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-10, 08:45 AM   #3
benpope
Helper EcoRenovator

Hi there,
If you are looking for software to model your house and get a pretty accurate idea of heating/cooling needs, take a look at HEED, a free piece of software from UCLA. It is a bit obtuse to get started with, but they have a good tutorial and it is really powerful. It lets you make a pretty darn accurate model of your house or business and lets you add different improvements to see what effect they will have on your energy use.
benpope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-10, 08:47 AM   #4
Xringer
Lex Parsimoniae

Default You might already know all this,

Quote:
Originally Posted by uncomplicatedi View Post
I don't have a manifesto like Skyl4rk. I'm just hoping to get some tips and tricks for installing a geothermal water source heat pump. I really liked that one article and thats why I joined.
Biggest problem i've had so far is getting the software/information on what size (tons/btu) heat pump I need and how much water I will need or in a recirculating system what size how many lines I need. Any hints?

You need to start off with the some basic data.

How many square feet of floor space do you live in? (and want to cool & heat).

What part of the world do you live in? (What's the weather like there)?

How good is your insulation and windows? If it's not so good, can you improve on it?

How good is the solar gain? (South facing windows)?

Once you have all this info before you, then you can start looking at possible solutions.

I started off already knowing that my old AC (18,000 BTUh) could cool off most of my house on a 90 dF day.
So, I figured a 24,000 BTUh Sanyo mini-split could handle the job easily. Even when it got really hot.
It can deliver 36,000 BTUh of heat too..

If you live in an area where it's not super cold in the winter (like Boston), then you might want to consider an ASHP..
If you live in northern Canada, forget about it!

Good Luck,
Rich

Xringer is offline   Reply With Quote