EcoRenovator  

Go Back   EcoRenovator > Improvements > Solar Heating
Advanced Search

Blog 60+ Home Energy Saving Tips Recent Posts Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-09-10, 10:51 AM   #1
Solar
Helper EcoRenovator

Talking Turn off the heat all day like this

My Solar Revelation!

I discovered as of recent that using dark color to absorb energy from the sun works very well.. so well I can heat one room to 75 degrees when the sun was just right in the last place I lived, with no other heat sources..

I have made (unedited as of now)videos proving this but the proof is in the pudding,

I just snagged a place with new windows, insulation, and I applied the techniques at my new place

basically the materials consist of dark blue(tinted with blue and black and maybe some purple, not red colors(you can see this when you shine light through a sheet)) bed sheets and black that allow light to pass through basically you use these as curtains on your windows, and when then sun is out on that window pull up the blinds and let the sun hit it, PULL BACK THE END OPPOSITE OF WHERE THE SUN IS HITTING THE SHEET TO ALLOW THE NATURAL CONVECTION OF AIR TO PULL THE HEAT OUT OF THE BLANKET OR SHEET LIKE A RADIATOR,

IN A MATTER OF MINUTES YOU CAN RAISE THE TEMPURATURE OF A WELL INSULATED HOUSE A FEW DEGREES. THIS IS WAY MORE PRACTICAL THAN 30,000$ SOLAR INSTALATIONS, THESE SHEETS ALSO ACT AS CURTAINS OR INSULATION AT NIGHT TO KEEP THE HEAT IN, THIS FORM OF HEAT IS MUCH HEALTHIER AND MORE NATURAL THAN GAS, ITS LESS DRY

I CAN GET THIS PLACE IM IN TO 76 DEGREES USING THIS METHOD, I AM USING A DIGITAL SURFACE THERMOMETER TO DO READINGS.

OTHER PROJECTS USING COLOR INCLUDING SOLAR PANELS MADE OUT OF BLACK PAINTED ALUMINUM OR PLASTIC PIPING SEALED IN A BOX USING A FAN TO BLOW THE HEAT INTO YOUR HOUSE, UNFORTUNATELY ALOT OF THIS STUFF NEEDS PERMITS, PUTTING CURTAINS ON YOUR WINDOWS DOES NOT, AND COSTS A ALOT LESS, I PAYED ABOUT 50$ FOR ALL THE MATERIALS NEEDED FOR THIS FOR 12 WINDOWS.

also 100% flat black paint will add to this, but be careful of semi-gloss paint, it'll add a cooling effect to your house, flat paint is warmer feeling and absorbs more heat energy you can paint ect if you find true flat unltra black paint, but paint manufactures don't have this available, I found a gallon of 15 year old black paint on the curb being given away with other paint AND THE PIGMENTS IN THAT PAINT ARE MUCH DIFFERENT AND RICHER THAN NEW PAINT, DUE TO EPA REGULATIONS AND CHANGES IN PAINT MIXTURES PAINT HAS BEEN MADE TO NOT ABSORB AS MUCH HEAT YOU NEED TO FIND AN EXACT PAINT FOR YOUR APPLICATION IS WHAT I AM SAYING, AND MOST OF THE PAINT OUT THERE IS NOT IT.

For example:
Home depot does not sell any flat paint at all, end of story.
they call it matte/flat, which if you go to a real paint store they will TELL YOU SPECIFICALLY THAT MATTE IS NOT FLAT PAINT REGARDLESS OF WHAT THE GUY AT HOME DEPOT SAYS. I NEED TO RESEARCH THIS MORE, BUT I HEAVE HEARD THAT BLACK EXHAUST PAINT MIGHT WORK..

Solar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-10, 10:52 AM   #2
Solar
Helper EcoRenovator

find a room in your house that is cold all the time, try this and then you will understand what im saying also tucking in curtains so theyre snug against the windows helps, air moving against cold glass, also this is the same idea with semi gloss paint, its a colder surface so it can cool your house down more

this will work differently in different climates when its colder outside and the glass on your window is cold so you have to be aware of when to pull up blinds to all the sun to hit the sheets and close the blinds when its done. there is some manual labor but not much and the payoffs are big

GOOD LUCK

Last edited by Solar; 03-09-10 at 10:54 AM..
Old 04-15-10, 09:35 PM   #3
Solar
Helper EcoRenovator

No takers??? Anyone try it?
Old 08-01-12, 08:45 PM   #4
blonde76
Lurking Renovator

On my own point of view one of the cheapest way to turn off the heat all day is to use a ziptrak blinds, you can easily adjust that blind to cover-up your windows against sunlight.
blonde76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-12, 01:20 PM   #5
strider3700
Master EcoRenovator

Basically you're capturing the sun coming through the window at the sheet, heating it up so that it feels noticably warmer and radiated some of that heat to the air inside. The alternative is to just let the sun come through the window and spread out hitting the floor and other things in the room. Same amount of energy in, just more spread out so the warming effect won't be as obvious to feel and measure.

It's possible that the sheet is stopping some of the energy from being reflected back out of the window but the percentage lost with out the sheet is so low I'd be surprised if it makes a measurable difference. At night the sheet will definitely help by providing insulation over the windows. I always close the curtains at night during the winter. and we've been slowly replacing all of them with good thick curtains to improve R-values of the windowed areas.

strider3700 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
solar heat passive black