EcoRenovator  

Go Back   EcoRenovator > Improvements > Solar Power
Advanced Search

Blog 60+ Home Energy Saving Tips Recent Posts Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-13-16, 10:44 AM   #31
ME_Andy
Helper EcoRenovator

Roughly crunching the numbers on this plug-in kit, I get 1752 kWh of generation per year, which is worth about $175. That gives an 8.5-year payback period- not even considering tax credits. That sounds acceptable.
https://www.amazon.com/Readymade-Inv...1H5NT386XEDJPJ

ME_Andy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-16, 12:49 PM   #32
jeff5may
Supreme EcoRenovator

Send a message via Yahoo to jeff5may

Not too bad of a deal at 1500 dollars plus shipping for a 500 watt knockoff setup, if you can't be bothered with details. Wiring, hunting down parts, assembling and such all take effort. Trade effort for over a dollar a watt if it suits you. Not all of us are handy. Payback takes longer, though. This is a good example of sweat equity and its real value.

I myself would rather have top-shelf parts for less and do some hours of manual labor...
jeff5may is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-16, 01:54 PM   #33
pinballlooking
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ME_Andy View Post
Roughly crunching the numbers on this plug-in kit, I get 1752 kWh of generation per year, which is worth about $175. That gives an 8.5-year payback period- not even considering tax credits. That sounds acceptable.
https://www.amazon.com/Readymade-Inv...1H5NT386XEDJPJ
You would not get a tax credit for this. The power company would not let you connected it to your house it does not meet code. If you had a fire at your house and the insurance company found this they would not cover your claim. Just a few things to think about.
I don’t think it is worth it at all.

As Jeff said you can do some research and get good equipment that meets code and get a tax credit inspected and insurance will still cover fire.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Solar Install 12.5 Kwh-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Mini Split installs -

EV Chevy Volt -
pinballlooking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-16, 10:28 PM   #34
jeff5may
Supreme EcoRenovator

Send a message via Yahoo to jeff5may

I looked in your region on CL and found some typical deals:

PRICE REDUCED!! U.S. Made 315w solar panels

Trina 270 watt solar panels

Looks to me like $140-150 per panel is the going rate in your area... You can buy a lot of inverter and electrician for $1000.
jeff5may is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jeff5may For This Useful Post:
ME_Andy (08-13-16)
Old 02-21-17, 07:14 PM   #35
nokiasixteth
Journeyman EcoRenovator

Have you noticed any difference in having the 250 vs the 210 ?
nokiasixteth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-17, 11:47 PM   #36
ME_Andy
Helper EcoRenovator

John (or anybody else), do you have any advice/links to the requirements for a solar installation in Austin? I'm thinking about a gazebo with solar in the back yard. I'm not sure if that's going to require a structural analysis, etc.
ME_Andy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-17, 06:16 PM   #37
where2
DIY Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by ME_Andy View Post
John (or anybody else), do you have any advice/links to the requirements for a solar installation in Austin? I'm thinking about a gazebo with solar in the back yard. I'm not sure if that's going to require a structural analysis, etc.
The final say on requirements is the always local Authority Having Jurisdiction (AHJ). Before I considered installing a PV system, I went to my local village building department and asked for their requirements. Before my wife and I bought our second property, I went to the town office and asked specifically about permit requirements. In that case, I also emailed the power company serving the property and asked about their requirements for PV installations. In both instances, I was greeted with welcome reception from the building department officials and the power company. Both willingly provided the answers to the questions I had. Some answers were beyond my knowledge at the time, but I made notes and researched what they said. While I was installing my PV array, I had multiple discussions with the gentleman in the building department handling my permit and the electrical inspection portion of my permit. When it comes down to the labeling on the disconnect box, the NEC leaves the final discretion to the AHJ, and I didn't want to delay my inspections going round and round with labeling. It was much easier to go ask what specific labeling the inspector wanted to see on the PV disconnect box and install that.

When it came to the structural portion of my PV permit, I simply had to follow the diagrams and material call outs very specifically on my structural engineering drawings. Having a signed and sealed set of structural engineering drawings in my permit plans, the structural inspector from the building department simply inspects to see that you follow the engineers plans to the letter. If it says use two 3-1/2"x5/16" lag bolts per bracket, you better have two bolts. If the plans say the bolts should go into the roof truss, the inspector should crawl through the attic looking for any bolts that missed trusses, and there shouldn't be any...

where2 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to where2 For This Useful Post:
ME_Andy (04-16-17)