EcoRenovator  

Go Back   EcoRenovator > Improvements > Renovations & New Construction
Advanced Search

Blog 60+ Home Energy Saving Tips Recent Posts Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-24-16, 07:20 AM   #11
MN Renovator
Less usage=Cheaper bills

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevehull View Post
These conversions are incredibly easy to heat and cool. With R-30 insulation, and controlled ventilation, a 12K BTU heater is enough to handle a 60 degree-day heating load in a single container. One problem with stacking them is that thermal stratification must be overcome with forced ventilation. Hard to find a small enough unit to do this.
An inverter mini-split allows for some very small loads and some can handle extreme cold conditions for heating too.

Shade for the summer and insulate well for all seasons.

If thermal stratification must be overcome, a ceiling fan with a loft configuration, or a ducted exhaust-type fan(Panasonic Whispergreen uses a miniscule amount of power) are low operating cost options and generally not that expensive of a purchase in general. A recovery ventilator with ductwork configured with thermal stratification in mind could handle part of this too. ...with that said, I live in a 4 level house and the thermal stratification thing seems to be a little overblown. In the winter, put most of your heat to the lower level, in the summer cool the upper level. I don't even do that in my house at all, the heat and cooling remain in the same configuration year round.

MN Renovator is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to MN Renovator For This Useful Post:
buffalobillpatrick (03-04-16)
Old 01-24-16, 07:39 AM   #12
stevehull
Steve Hull

MN,

My thoughts exactly on delivering heat (most to lower level). Here in OKC, we need to also deliver cooling and that needs to be on TOP level. The solution seems to be minisplits, with one at top level and another on the bottom level.

The problem with many ERVs are that they are often too big. One that I have used is only 20 cfm (doubles to 40 cfm with remote low voltage SPST switch). Can be configured to only 10 cfm (and doubles to 20 cfm).

https://www.acwholesalers.com/Panaso...t-ERV/12786.ac

They also make a very nice coaxial ventilation tube meaning only one hole drilled in exterior wall. Thin enough to fit into overhead stud space.

A bit expensive (~$350), but they work very, very well.

I have put them in bathrooms to constantly ventilate at low rates. When the shower light is turned on, the volume doubles thereby ventilating the bathroom (use a DPST switch with one side on 120 V AC for shower light, the other pole to control ERV ventilation rate).

They are not listed for bathroom use, but work very well in that application. Too small for kitchen use. Also absolutely NO noise. You literally cannot hear when they are on. My kind of unit (I hate blower noise . . . . ).

Minimal maintenance - just cleaning out air filter once a year. So far, no field failures and clients love them.

Steve
Old 01-24-16, 01:27 PM   #13
roflwaffle
Apprentice EcoRenovator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MEMPHIS91 View Post
I don't really think so. In order to properly insulate the containers you either loose most your inside space or you have to spend a lot of money cutting and welding to make them usable. Plus now the price is going up more and more on them. Maybe good idea if you live in FL and want to paint in silver to reflect tons of light/heat. But you still need insulation.
I think it depends on the construction techniques used. Someone could set up a frame/insulation on the exterior instead of the interior. And if they did insulate the interior, the outside would make the perfect base for a solar thermal hot water system. I guess like most things, it depends on what you do with it.
roflwaffle is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to roflwaffle For This Useful Post:
Old 01-24-16, 03:29 PM   #14
MEMPHIS91
Journeyman EcoRenovator

I think this article makes some good points.
What's wrong with shipping container housing? One architect says "everything." : TreeHugger
stevehull (01-24-16)
Old 01-24-16, 07:23 PM   #15
jeff5may
Supreme EcoRenovator

Send a message via Yahoo to jeff5may

Quote:
Originally Posted by MEMPHIS91 View Post
From the way the article reads, i think the author is still missing something. Can't really tell what, but two hands on a shovel might be a good start. Of course, airplanes should just pop like balloons at high altitude anyways. The skin is just too thin....
jeff5may is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-16, 08:30 PM   #16
MEMPHIS91
Journeyman EcoRenovator

Yeah seems like maybe he wasted some money on bad planning so he just condemns the whole thing.
I was at one point 100% against them, now I am 50/50.
I am always looking into home ideas, just incase we move or this house burns. I always like to be prepared. I have a container that could be used for anything right now. Got it for $200 several years ago.
Old 01-26-16, 08:59 PM   #17
AC_Hacker
Supreme EcoRenovator

Default Shipping Containers, another factor...

I have watched a kajillion BBC (NOT BBC America, which isn't really BBC) builders shows and some of them offer very innovative and inspiring examples of what can be done with the containers being used for homes and offices.

However I did learn a very juicy bit, and it is that Shipping Containers are supremely well designed to be shipping containers, at a moderate cost. Part of their genius is that they are welded under tension, so the whole box shares the stresses and strains of shipping stresses.

If you cut a window, or even more, if you cut a door, the tensile mode of strength is broken. This doesn't mean that you can't proceed, but it does mean that certain radical designs need to be very thoroughly thought out, and verified by a certified mechanical engineer.

-AC
Old 01-27-16, 04:51 PM   #18
MEMPHIS91
Journeyman EcoRenovator

Quote:
Originally Posted by AC_Hacker View Post
I have watched a kajillion BBC (NOT BBC America, which isn't really BBC) -AC

Love watching some BBC.

I am worried about the paint. I know most paints are ok now, but what about when the paint is heated by the sun. We know very little about these type chemicals and things. This would be a big red flag for me til the off gas is proven safe.

A lot of fire departments use the shipping containers for training and cut huge holes in them and stack them all kinds of crazy ways. One day we will find out just what these can and can not handle. Just hope no one gets hurts.