EcoRenovator  

Go Back   EcoRenovator > Improvements > Lawn and Garden
Advanced Search

Blog 60+ Home Energy Saving Tips Recent Posts Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-23-11, 09:43 PM   #21
Daox
Administrator

Thanks Doug, that is helpful.

I grabbed a picture of the mower tonight before I went in for the night. I'm not even sure what the specs on the mower are so I'll have to check that out and report back.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	mower001.jpg
Views:	2835
Size:	97.0 KB
ID:	1702  

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
&
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Daox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-11, 09:51 PM   #22
dh1
Helper EcoRenovator

I know on some brands of rear bagger mowers you can get a shoot that goes in place of the bag and directs the clippings out the left side (opposite of a normal side discharge). I've seen 2 different sears models that had them.
dh1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-11, 10:32 PM   #23
Daox
Administrator

We'll see. The budget is tight enough on this project, I don't want to be buying parts if I don't have to. If worst came to worst and it doesn't work out with this mower I'm sure I can find another dead mower out there somewhere pretty easily.

Anyway, the motor arrived today. It is 4" long and 4" in diameter. The shaft is 3/8" in diameter with I'm guessing 3/8-16 thread on the end. It also does have a flat spot for a setscrew. I was hoping the shaft was a bit beefier, but I guess this'll have to do.

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	mower002.jpg
Views:	2307
Size:	77.5 KB
ID:	1704  

&
Old 08-25-11, 11:41 AM   #24
Daox
Administrator

I've really been trying to come up with a good coupling solution but am not getting any good ideas. You guys have any? Again I'm trying to keep this a real simple build that anyone can do. That means off the shelf parts and/or simple modifications to parts like hand drilling, maybe tapping, but no custom parts.

&
Old 08-25-11, 01:41 PM   #25
MetroMPG
Infrequent noob

What was originally connected to that motor?

Chain sprocket? Hub or no hub? Maybe you could get one and adapt it to mount the blade (drill & bolts).

• To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

• To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

MetroMPG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-11, 02:57 PM   #26
Daox
Administrator

There is a clutch mechanism on this mower. You can run the engine without engaging the blades. I honestly haven't looked to see if it can be adapted, but I'm guessing not since the engine shaft is way bigger than 3/8".

&
Old 08-26-11, 07:21 PM   #27
dh1
Helper EcoRenovator

This is how the blade is mounted on a Yardworks cordless mower.

1> is the assembly
2> the motor shaft
3> all the parts,
Spacer>Blade with fan>Square plastic washer>Steel washer>Nut
4> the parts on the motor shaft, minus the blade, fan and plastic washer

The blade, fan, plastic and steel washer all lock together.
The steel washer locks on the motor shaft.

IMO if you can get some kind of a collar locked on the motor shaft in the right spot so it doesn't move, slid up and down, then a thick fender washer, then the blade, then another thick fender washer, and finally the nut it should work.
Whatever you do you want to make sure the blade is not going to come flying off.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	ET2 mower 001.jpg
Views:	918
Size:	94.8 KB
ID:	1705   Click image for larger version

Name:	ET2 mower 002.jpg
Views:	930
Size:	83.3 KB
ID:	1706   Click image for larger version

Name:	ET2 mower 004.jpg
Views:	877
Size:	93.8 KB
ID:	1707   Click image for larger version

Name:	ET2 mower 005.jpg
Views:	1206
Size:	94.1 KB
ID:	1708  
The Following User Says Thank You to dh1 For This Useful Post:
Daox (08-26-11)
Old 08-26-11, 07:26 PM   #28
dh1
Helper EcoRenovator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daox View Post
We'll see. The budget is tight enough on this project, I don't want to be buying parts if I don't have to. If worst came to worst and it doesn't work out with this mower I'm sure I can find another dead mower out there somewhere pretty easily.

Anyway, the motor arrived today. It is 4" long and 4" in diameter. The shaft is 3/8" in diameter with I'm guessing 3/8-16 thread on the end. It also does have a flat spot for a setscrew. I was hoping the shaft was a bit beefier, but I guess this'll have to do.

That motor looks like a fair size and I see it has a threaded shaft on it.
I think it's going to work.

Tags
battery, cordless, diy, mower