EcoRenovator  

Go Back   EcoRenovator > Improvements > Geothermal & Heat Pumps
Advanced Search

Blog 60+ Home Energy Saving Tips Recent Posts

Old 10-22-14, 10:54 AM   #1
dion90
Lurking Renovator

Default Difference between closed loop and open loop geothermal heat pumps?

What are the Major differences between closed loop and open loop geothermal heat pumps?
I need help with one more question after this complete my project..

Thanks

dion90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-14, 06:57 PM   #2
AC_Hacker
Supreme EcoRenovator

Quote:
Originally Posted by dion90 View Post
What are the Major differences between closed loop and open loop geothermal heat pumps?
I need help with one more question after this complete my project..
With any heat pump, there is the heat source, and the heat sink.

With a GSHP, the ground is the heat source and your house (for instance) is the heat sink.

Looking at the GSHP source, you might have a "pump & dump" where you bring in water from a river, lake, spring, etc., then run it through your heat pump and discharge it back into the place where it came from... this is open loop. This kind of system can be cheaper to build, and more efficient than closed loop, but sites that have an abundance of available water are less available.

Your GSHP could also have a ground loop, through which water circulates continuously (like blood in your body), and it gathers heat and takes it to the heat pump for heat extraction, then back out... This would be closed loop.

If you are heating your house with water-heated radiant floors, that could also be open loop or closed loop.

Some people use the heated water from the heat pump to circulate heated water directly into the water heater, and ultimately use that same water for washing, laundry, etc. in which case new water would need to be added to replenish hot water that is disposed of. This system is not as common as it once was.

Your radiant floor water could also be a closed loop, through which water circulates continuously (like blood in your body), and it supplies heat and takes it to the heat pump for more heat, and around, and around. Obviously, this would be closed loop.

-AC