EcoRenovator  

Go Back   EcoRenovator > Introductions
Advanced Search

Blog 60+ Home Energy Saving Tips Recent Posts Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-29-09, 02:03 AM   #1
Piwoslaw
Super Moderator

Default EcoModder->EcoRenovator

Hi,
I'm Adam, yet another EcoModder.com member who came over here Actually, I should have done it a few months ago... I've been interested in ecology, saving, efficiency, RE, etc. since high school.

Here's a word about our house. It's a typical, late '60's cube-shaped style, of which there are thousands and thousands in Poland and other countries in middle- and eastern- Europe. Two floors plus basement with garage, each floor about 50 sq. meters. The walls are 50cm brick, a few years ago they where isolated on the outside with 5cm of styrofoam. Windows recently changed to 2-pane, argon filled with wood frames.

The heating system is a natural gas furnace (way too oversized) and big, cast iron radiators. No A/C. Hot water comes from two on-demand gas heaters, one on each floor. Stove is gas, oven is electric.

Our property is small (450m2). Lots of shade from tall trees, so solar will be a problem. Trees, plus close neighbors and tons of dumb regulations, mean no chances for a wind gennie

The electricity from the utility comes mostly (over 90%) from coal (both black and brown), only 2%-5% from RE, mostly hydro. The natural gas is 70%-80% imported from Russia.

Since moving in 2 years ago I've helped the Wife force a few changes upon Dad-in-law: CFL's, off switches on strips for electronics, efficient refridgerator (650 Wh/day, compared to 1250 Wh/day), automatic room-temp thermostat for central heating, barrel for rainwater, compost pile.

Our plans for next year is to get rid of the on-demand hot water heaters, replacing them with a tank in the basement. The water will be heated with solar panels (one corner of the roof get some sun) and from waste ventilation with an air-water heat pump. The gravity ventilation will be replaced with forced, with a recuperator. I'd also like a small PV, and an electricity generating exercise bike.

Piwoslaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-09, 07:49 AM   #2
Daox
Administrator

Welcome to ER Piwoslaw!

Sounds like you're already doing alright with your house. I'm curious as to how much more efficient the heat pump is versus the on demand units. I also want to use solar hot water (not only for water, but heat), and would either use a boiler or on demand water heater for backup.

Daox is offline   Reply With Quote