EcoRenovator  

Go Back   EcoRenovator > Improvements > Appliances & Gadgets
Advanced Search

Blog 60+ Home Energy Saving Tips Recent Posts

Old 11-18-13, 01:01 PM   #21
Daox
Administrator

That LockState looks like a rebranded Radio Thermostat CT-30. I did see the 3mFiltrete thermostat, but I saw it was made by Radio Thermostat. It looks identical to the CT-30 as well. Maybe they use different software though? I didn't compare features.

Thats really cool that the Radio Thermostat models have a programmable API! I bet you could really have some fun with that.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
&
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Daox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-13, 01:12 PM   #22
pinballlooking
Super Moderator

The software is completely different on the LockState thermostat. I agree it looks like the same thermostat but different firmware.
Even basic cloud Wi-Fi has to be paid for with the lock state version. The android client usually does not work and when it does it is very slow. The history section is all but worthless.
The Radio Thermostat android software works great and is not slow at all. The history section is just great it shows when the HVAC turn on how long it ran the temp outside and inside.
pinballlooking is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to pinballlooking For This Useful Post:
Daox (11-18-13)
Old 11-18-13, 02:11 PM   #23
NiHaoMike
Supreme EcoRenovator

Any idea about hacking it? Or better yet, maybe we should design an open source thermostat. I'm imagining something based around a Raspberry Pi with a control expansion module in the air handler (similar to Ecobee) to allow more fine grained control and monitoring than any regular thermostat.
Old 11-18-13, 02:37 PM   #24
Daox
Administrator

A DIY open source project is definitely doable. Its not overly complicated to program thermostat functionality and/or other functionality. The thermostats out there IMO are quite overpriced for the relatively limited functionality they provide.

&
Daox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-13, 03:10 PM   #25
pinballlooking
Super Moderator

I completely agree they are way too expensive for what they do.

I have a universal devices issy991 home automation device. It can send network resource post.
I will have to experiment with controlling the new thermostat with my home automation.
Old 01-07-15, 07:25 PM   #26
nkuck
Lurking Renovator

I have had a Nest for over a year, and swear that it paid for itself in about 6 months. The automatic away feature is great as I don't have to remember to set it before I leave the house. And the iOS app works well, allowing me to adjust the temp from wherever I might be so the house is ready for me when I get home. If I were on a regular schedule, it would program itself. You can manually enter a schedule, too.
nkuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-15, 01:53 PM   #27
mechanic
Apprentice EcoRenovator

I put an Ecobee Smart in almost a year ago and I like it very much, very easy to program - saved me a lot as I can set all the limits for geothermal stages, backup stage, etc. It can also control "smart plugs" so I use it to run and monitor usage on devices around the home like my hrv and hot water circulation pumps. Another advantage is the interface runs off 4 wires and the main device sits in the utility room saving you from having to run a bunch more wiring for some of the thermostats...
mechanic is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mechanic For This Useful Post:
Daox (03-10-15), Servicetech (03-22-15)
Old 03-10-15, 10:15 PM   #28
mechanic
Apprentice EcoRenovator

Just went on the ecobee site today and it looks like my thermostat and the more commercial style ones are gone. Now they just list a new ecobee3 which is a lot more Nest like and a simpler looking SmartSi. Too bad, I really like all the programability of the regular Smart and the option to expand/customize (remote sensor module add on allows you to add sensors, control other things like Hrv, graph outside data, etc) Oh well, I got mine, as long as they keep supporting it! Which so far they have been very good....
mechanic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-16, 05:09 AM   #29
flavin
Lurking Renovator

Great info on Internet WiFi thermostats.
flavin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-16, 09:48 AM   #30
pinballlooking
Super Moderator

I have been through two 3M-50 they have all gone bad. So it was time for a Wi-Fi Thermostat that works. I read a tone of reviews and this is the one I bought.

Sensi Wi-Fi Programmable Thermostat, UP500W for Smart Home, Works with Alexa
If you need a no frills easy to setup. I works great without a C wire. (The C wire provides power).

We have this at our lake place. I installed it at the beginning of summer and it was super simple to setup. It just works no fees. It can use batteries for Wi-Fi or a C wire. Batteries are lasting good so far.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	TMP.JPG
Views:	585
Size:	58.9 KB
ID:	7074  

Solar Install 12.5 Kwh-

Mini Split installs -

EV Chevy Volt -

Tags
internet, remote, thermostat, wifi